One of the best parts of Halloween is all the delicious treats we get to sample without – too much – guilt! So let your pet join in with all the trick-or-treating fun and try out these fun doggie Halloween recipes…
Pumpkin & Peanut Butter Halloween Biscuits
Recipe adapted from All Recipes
Yields about 10 treats
- 2½ cups whole wheat flour
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup canned pumpkin puree
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Dash of salt
- 8 ounces of low-fat cream cheese
- 1½ tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, eggs, canned pumpkin, peanut butter, pumpkin pie spice and salt. Mix until fully combined.
- Lightly flour a hard surface. Place dough on the surface and roll out using a rolling pin to about 1/2 inch thickness. Using Halloween cookie cutters, stamp out shapes. Place cookies on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool.
- Whilst you’re waiting, prepare the frosting. Beat the cream cheese, vanilla and cinnamon together until well combined. Then frost the biscuits and serve up!
Peanut Butter Cupcakes for Dogs
Recipe taken from The Scrumptious Pumpkin
Yields about 6 cupcakes
- ½ cup brown rice flour (or whole wheat flour or rye flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ⅓ cup organic canola oil
- ⅓ cup organic applesauce
- 1 organic, pastured egg
- 2 tablespoons organic honey
- 3 tablespoons organic plain Greek yogurt
- 1½ tablespoons organic peanut butter
- Preheat your oven to 190°
- Stir the flour, baking powder, canola oil, applesauce, egg, and honey in a large mixing bowl until fully combined.
- Pop your paper cases into a muffin or cupcake tray and then spoon the mixture into the cases.
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes. To test whether your cupcakes are ready, insert a toothpick into the centre of a cupcake and see if it comes out clean.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool to room temperature.
- Whilst you’re waiting, mix the yoghurt and peanut butter together in a bowl until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Then use a small spatula or butter knife to smooth a thin layer of the peanut butter frosting over each cupcake. And voila! Serve up to your pup!
Storage tips: the cupcakes will last for up for 4-5 days if stored in an airtight container in a cool, shaded spot. The peanut butter frosting should be stored separately, covered and refrigerated. Frost cupcakes immediately before serving to your pooch.