It’s a new year, which means time for changes and improvements – for both you and your dog. Here are our top six resolutions which we think will be both beneficial and fun. Happy 2017!
1. Learn first aid for dogs. It can be very scary if your pet is injured or unwell, knowing how to deal with it can be a life saver.
2. Teach your dog new tricks – it improves your relationship, entertains both you and your pet and is a great way to pass time. Only 10 minutes a day can achieve a lot. Have a look at our interactive toys which are perfect for improving your pet’s intelligence and ability to learn.
3. Declutter – now’s the time to get rid of any unwanted or unusable items such as coats which no longer fit, half eaten tennis balls, ripped up blankets and broken leads. Donate any items which are still usable to charity.
4. Get fit! It’s no longer the festive season, so there are no excuses. It’s time to get your walking boots or running shoes on, take the dog out and stretch those legs. Just 30-minutes of walking a day can vastly improve mental and physical wellbeing, for you AND your dog!
5. Volunteer. There are many animal centres, hospitals and homes across the country which desperately need the help of volunteers in order to function. Even if it’s just a few hours a week your help will make a big difference. You could even offer to walk a dog for someone else, make an effort to help neighbours or those who may be struggling with the responsibility of owning a pet.
6. Have fun! Why not enrol in an agility training class, or learn ‘Heel to Music’ training? Hydrotherapy sessions and massages have been proven to boost dog’s mood, or you could always throw a canine tea party for all your friends with dogs. And if you are feeling generous and think you deserve a special treat, you could even book yourself a dog-friendly holiday here.