Are you welcoming a new puppy into the family? Or is your pooch’s birthday just around the corner? If you’re in the spirit to celebrate and throw a bit of a pet party, but don’t want to leave your furry friend out of the fun, then try these great dog-friendly recipes created by Jayne Shawcross of Doggy Bags Bakery.
1 cup oat flour (porridge oats which have been whizzed in a food processor until very fine)
1 cup rice flour
½ cup grated parmesan
1 cup tightly packed spinach leaves
½ cup of water
- Puree spinach in a food processor until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients and continue to process until fully combined.
- Roll the dough until balls are approx. 1” in diameter and place on a baking tray. (TIP: Roll the dough out and use cookie cutters to make your own shapes or even cut out the letters to spell their name!)
- Bake for 20-25 minutes at 180o. Remove and cool on a wire rack before storing in an airtight container in the fridge. Pawfect for a pet party that is sure to be a howler.
2 cup oat flour
½ cup honey
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
2 cups pureed carrots
¼ safflower oil
1tsp vanilla essence
- Combine all the ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Place cupcake papers into cupcake baking tray – spoon mixture into each paper, filling almost to the top as it won’t rise too much
- Bake for 10-15 mins for mini cupcakes, or 20-25 mins for regular sized cupcakes, in the oven at 180o until a skewer put into the middle comes out clean. Leave to cool completely on a wire rack.
- TIP: For an added treat, whip 8 oz of low fat cream cheese with 2 tbsp honey until fluffy to make ‘frosting’ that can be spread on top of the cakes once they’ve cooled.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
SNACK/ NIBBLES – Homemade jerky
450g ground beef mince
- Puree the mince in a food processor until it’s a smooth paste.
- Line a shallow baking tray with parchment paper (TIP: makes clean up easier!) and spread the paste evenly across the sheet.
- Bake on a very low heat (100o) for 2 hours with the oven door ajar to allow all the moisture to escape.
- Remove from the oven and use a pizza slice or knife to cut into strips/ individual sized portions.
- Place back on the tray and bake for a further 1-2 hours until the pieces are dry and leathery.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge until the pet party guests have arrived.