Here at PetsPyjamas, we are fans of all animal breeds – any shape or size, but with our finger on the pulse, we have noticed a new increased interest in the distinctive French Bulldog. So what is it that makes Frenchies so popular?
Small, inclined to be stout, bulgy eyed, but still beautiful the French bulldog has suddenly become the dog de jour. Frenchies are appealing little souls, friendly, unfailingly cheerful and undemanding. They are not fighters or barkers and are sociable and gentle with children.
The “Frenchie” has some famous friends and is seen with David Beckham, Reese Witherspoon and Georgia May Jagger. Figures from the Kennel Club show that numbers of the breed have increased by two thirds in the past year alone.
The French bulldog is the fastest-growing breed of dog in Britain. Posh n Becks are said to be delighted with their Scarlet, while Hugh Jackman has Dali and Leo Di Caprio Django. El Bulli, once the world’s best restaurant was named after a French bulldog – and there is a large sculpture of one outside.
The Kennel Club recommends buying from a reputable breeder – the puppy funder service on the Kennel Club website is a good place to look.
French Bulldogs may have originally arrived here with lacemakers fleeing persecution in France. They can be fawn, tan, brindle or black with large ears, short legs and a sturdy body shape. Puppy prices range from around £1000 to £3000.
Why do we absolutely adore Frenchies?
- They’re entertaining! Cute, mischievous and a hilarious little sense of humour, Frenchies are a great source of entertainment.
- They’re friendly – French Bulldogs are one of the friendliest, most affectionateate dog breeds around. As I’m sure all you Frenchie owners out there will agree, they absolutely love people (and attention!)
- They’re great with children – Frenchies are the perfect companion for small children. They’re super playful and rarely bark – an absolute dream!
- They’re low maintenance – the little guys don’t require much exercise and are happy to live in small spaces, making them a popular choice for city folk.
- They love to cuddle! Frenchies would rather cuddle up on your lap than go for a 3 hour long walk. The perfect snoozing companion!
- They’re easy to groom – their smooth, short-haired coat is super easy to keep clean and in tip-top condition.
- They love to make new doggie friends – Frenchies get on really well with other dogs and you will often find them playing around with canine companions. They’re also generally fine with other pets such as cats.
- They make good watchdogs – even though they’re not big barkers, French Bulldogs are smart and very territorial, so if you do hear your French bark, something’s usually up!
- They’re loyal – they may love to make new friends, but it’ll always be you they run to first!
- They’re cute! Frenchies are simply adorable – their squished little faces are to die for. How could anybody resist??
Thinking of taking your Frenchie away?
As we begin to get back to some kind of normality in the spring months ahead, you and your four-legged friend can hopefully enjoy some more quality time together; and what better way to do that than a dog-friendly getaway?