Pet Friendly Holidays Dartmoor
Dartmoor National Park with its sweeping landscape and wild ponies, is a great place to find dog hotels for a pooch-filled getaway. This rugged Devon landscape, that's steeped in rich history is ideally located for your four-legged friends.
- Exeter, EnglandTucked away in the heart of the mid-Devon countryside lies Hazelnut Lodge. With views over surrounding fields to the countryside beyond, this is the perfect place to get away from it all and enjoy the peace and quiet. Located in the grounds of the owner’s smallholding, there is a private drive leading down to the property. Skirted by the private woods, there is a large garden and sitting-out area. The spacious open plan living space is complimented by an inviting bedroom with its super kingsize bed. Patio doors lead from the living area onto the patio giving further access to a decking area for dining al fresco. Hazelnut Lodge is a comfortable base from which to explore all that Devon has to offer. Exeter is easily reached, and has a wide variety of shops, restaurants and, of course, its historic cathedral. Dartmoor and Exmoor National Parks are accessible and provide walking for all abilities and stunning scenery. There are a number of National Trust properties in the area, most notably Castle Drogo and Arlington Court. Also within easy reach (20 miles) is Powderham Castle. This remarkable 14th century castle, set in a beautiful deer park on the banks of the River Exe, has been home to the same family since 1391. Visitors are encouraged to explore the picturesque gardens, discover the interior beauty of the castle and to take part in some of the events which are held throughout the year. The wonderful RHS gardens at Rosemoor and the Dartington Crystal Factory are worth a visit and both these attractions are based at Great Torrington. There is golf, fishing and horse riding available in the local area and cycle hire can be arranged on the Tarka Trail at various locations. Shop 3 miles, pub 1¼ miles and restaurant 5 miles.£84From price per night based on 7 night stay
- Totnes, EnglandNestled within 240 acres of unspoilt farmland, in the glorious South Hams midway between Dartmoor and the stunning south Devon beaches, Wheeldon Farm Cottages are the perfect choice for family, friends and couples to enjoy a relaxing retreat or an action packed escape at any time of year. The four delightful, pet-friendly barn conversions (refs 27214, 27215, 27216 and UKC748), which could be booked together for larger parties, sit within a lovely courtyard setting surrounded by miles of footpaths and green lanes, ideal for walking or cycling. The master bedroom in each property features a flatscreen TV, and home-made meals can be pre-ordered and delivered to the cottage (arranged direct with the owner). The cottages lie just a short distance from some of south Devon’s finest beaches and tourist attractions, including the historic town of Totnes which is just 15 minutes away and sits on the River Dart with cruises down river to Greenway and Dartmouth. A cosmopolitan town, Totnes, 7 miles away, has a vast array of independent shops, weekly markets, galleries, leisure centre and many lovely restaurants, bistros and cafés. The seaside towns of Paignton and Torquay are 40 minutes’ drive, and it is just a 15-minute drive to the yachting haven of Dartmouth, and the coastline between Dartmouth and Kingsbridge, both 7 miles away, has many stunning beaches, hidden coves and fantastic coastal walks.
Guests of these cottages can also enjoy a range of on-site facilities suitable for all the family, including a heated indoor swimming pool (available via a booking system) with a private changing room and shower. There is a large games room set over two floors, including a fitness room with a cross trainer, treadmill, rowing machine and exercise bike. The top floor of the games room has a full-size American pool table, big sofa and Sky TV. The bottom floor has table tennis and table football. On-site there is also a laundry and ironing room. If you are looking for adventure and an adrenalin rush, then Wheeldon Farm Cottages will not disappoint. The Wheeldon Off-Road Centre, adjacent to the cottages, boasts a purpose-built, 30,000 square foot indoor arena (split in separate halves for motorbikes and bicycles) and junior training circuit, and is the ideal year-round venue for the whole family to learn to ride a motorcycle in a fun and controlled environment. Discounted rates are available for children and adults during the school holidays (booking by arrangement and on arrival), providing children and adults with the opportunity to experience the ultimate, two-wheel off-road adventure for the first time. The instructors at Wheeldon Farm are all ACU accredited and will guide the children through their paces every step of the way. For some activities, all the kit, clothing, boots, gloves, helmets and fun bikes are provided. All that’s needed is the enthusiasm to have a great deal of fun! Suited to all ages from 7 years to fit seniors. Wheeldon Farm now offers all of it’s holiday cottage customers a free 1 hour ‘taster’ ride on our professionally maintained Haibike electric bikes, after which they are available to hire. The bikes are perfect for exploring the beautiful South Devon countryside in an environmentally friendly way. We can advise you on the best routes to ride and places to explore.
In addition to all the motorbike fun, a range of other activities can also be organised locally, including horse riding, golf, go-karting and trout and carp fishing. Also, clay pigeon shooting, air rifle and archery are available - these are run by a fully qualified instructor and all equipment is provided. The activities run on a Monday, Thursday and Sunday. Prices will be charged accordingly when bookings are made. Please note, extra activities and catering requests must be pre-booked with Wheeldon Farm Cottages prior to guests’ arrival at the site. Foxglove (ref 27214), Poppy (ref 27215), Monkshood (ref 27216) and Mad Nelly Cottage (ref UKC748) can be booked together to accommodate up to 29 guests. Beach 10 miles. Shop 3 miles, pub 2 miles and restaurant 6 miles.£81From price per night based on 7 night stay
- Tavistock, EnglandSituated on the western edge of Dartmoor National Park in the pretty village of Brentor, Chapel View offers a unique escape in beautiful surroundings. With a private garden, off road parking, a cosy, open plan living space and easy access to some of the most picturesque landscapes in the UK, this two-bedroom character cottage, renovated in 2023, is a perfect base to explore what Dartmoor has to offer.
After an action-packed day exploring Dartmoor, head into the restful open plan living and dining area, and unwind on the sofa or armchair, watching a film on the Smart TV with Freeview, enjoying the glows of the wood burner in the background. The well-equipped kitchen includes a double electric oven, induction hob, dishwasher, microwave, washing machine, Nespresso coffee pod machine and upright fridge/freezer. Head upstairs where there are two beautiful bedrooms. The first has a double bed, chest of drawers and hanging space either side in alcoves behind bed. Smart TV with Freeview, and beautiful vaulted beamed ceilings. The second room has a super kingsize zip and link bed which can be setup with twin beds if requested. Wardrobes on landing. The family bathroom is on the same floor and is fitted with a shower cubicle, vanity unit, heated towel rail and toilet.
Guests can enjoy private use of the enclosed garden which is opposite the cottage behind the parking area. It’s a unique space set-up with an outdoor table and chairs for alfresco dining, a circular daybed on the raised decked area (3 steps up). On the level part of the garden there is a garden room with dining area and sofa and chair, bar/kitchen area and infra-red heater. Outside is a charcoal barbecue.
Brentor is just six miles from the historic Stannary market town of Tavistock, with its farmers’ market, boutique shops, supermarkets, bistros, pubs, and cafés. There is so much for all the family here, whether you are looking for an active break, walking, cycling, horse-riding, bird watching, golf, fishing, visiting historic houses and gardens, surfing/bodyboarding on the north coast or just wish to sit and relax with a good book. Dartmoor National Park, the Tamar Valley and Tavistock, the gateway to the Cornish Mining World Heritage Site, are all within easy reach.
The property’s West-Devon location means that it is possible to reach both the north and south coasts of Cornwall and Devon in under an hour, and of particular interest, are the fishing village of Looe, King Arthur’s Tintagel, and the National Trust village of Boscastle. There are also plenty of local beauty spots nearby, including the Lydford Gorge, Burrator Reservoir, Dartmoor Zoo, Castle Drogo and the historic Buckland Abbey. Enjoy the 11 miles of traffic-free route The Granite Way that stretches from Okehampton to Lydford winding through some of the most stunning Dartmoor countryside and moorland. Chapel View is a holiday home for all seasons and will provide a wonderful and relaxing base to explore and recharge the batteries.£66From price per night based on 7 night stay
- Tavistock, EnglandThe Old School House is a superb property situated in Horrabridge, on the edge of Dartmoor National Park.
It’s an extremely spacious 5000 square foot, late-Victorian former schoolhouse, built in 1875 of local stone and slate. This beautiful seven-bedroom holiday home comfortably accommodates up to twenty two guests and presents a wonderful base for a group of family and friends to enjoy a luxurious and relaxing break. The property showcases two hot tubs, six bathrooms, bath tubs lavishly positioned in two of the bedrooms, a games room, large garden, and a children’s play area. The main part of the building on the ground floor has a magnificent large kitchen and dining area with seating for up to twenty guests, an island worktop, exquisite quartz countertops and plenty of appliances. Other features include a pantry, boot room, cloakroom, the enormous living room with two large seating areas and a wood burner, patio doors opening out into the garden and a games room with a pool table and dartboard.
The annexed area at the far end can be accessed through a connecting hallway or via a separate entrance and it contains an additional open plan kitchen, living and dining area, a shower room and a staircase leading to the two bedrooms above. This beautiful, detached home has three staircases in total leading to the first floor which divides two bedrooms at the far end for eight guests, the extraordinary master ensuite bedroom in the middle for a couple and the other three bedrooms at the other end accommodating up to twelve guests. The final en-suite double bedroom is located on the ground floor. The private enclosed garden has a large lawn, a sprawling decked area, barbeque, outdoor seating, children’s play area, plus a large shed for all outdoor activity equipment. In front of the property is a large parking area with space for up to eight vehicles plus a covered carport.
Horrabridge is a beautiful village with a village green and medieval bridge on the banks of the River Walkham. It is serviced by a selection of shops including a post office and stores, bakery, fish and chip shop, art gallery and two pubs. Tavistock, a nearby thriving market town rich in history and tradition dating back to the 10th century, just 3½ miles away to the northwest.£864From price per night based on 7 night stay
- Shaldon, EnglandWithymead Cottage is nestled on the outskirts of the beautiful village of Bishopsteignton, next door to a working vineyard, and just outside the seaside towns of Teignmouth, Shaldon and Dawlish. The property is entered via a gate beside the parking area, which is for up to two cars, and shared with the owners, who live next door. The garden is enclosed with fabulous countryside views and a lovely outdoor seating/ BBQ area, which is tranquil, relaxing, and with afternoon/evening sun. It is pet friendly and perfect for walkers and birdwatching, or just to relax and get away from it all.
Entering the property you will find a level open plan living space, with a fully equipped kitchen, dining table and comfortable lounge area complete with a wood burner, Smart TV and sofa bed if required. Large windows, one with a Juliet balcony, look out from the living area to the gorgeous garden and green fields beyond, providing great natural light. The bedroom has a kingsize bed, Smart TV, sliding built-in wardrobes and boasts fantastic countryside views. The bathroom has a bath with shower over, plus a heated towel rail.
The best part about this property is its peaceful and relaxing location, whilst also being very accessible to local village shops, pubs and restaurants, all less than a mile away. There is a vineyard right next door, and many local public footpaths, one of these running beside the cottage and leading to the ancient Old Walls Bishops Palace ruins (also next door). A well-known local brewery is 1.7 miles away, and accessible via a public footpath. If you fancy a round of golf, the Teignmouth Golf Course is just 1 mile away. Withymead is close to many of the regions popular tourist attractions and local beaches. Exeter and the English Riviera are a short drive away, and this property is ideal if you are a keen walker, with the South West Coastal Path and Dartmoor also nearby.
Withymead Cottage is perfect for a relaxing break away from day-to-day life, but with an ideal location that means there is also plenty to do close by.
Sleeps up to 2 adults and 2 children.£61From price per night based on 7 night stay
- Tavistock, EnglandWelcome to Hollyhock, a charming one-bedroom apartment nestled on the lower ground floor of the owners residence in the picturesque market town of Tavistock. This holiday haven is the ideal choice for couples seeking an escape within walking distance of the delightful town centre and situated on the edge of Dartmoor National Park.
Accessed via a few steps from the garden, the entrance leads you into the inviting living and dining area, tastefully furnished with two sofas, a table and chairs, a Smart TV with Freeview, and a cosy wood burner. The well-equipped kitchen boasts an electric cooker, microwave, dishwasher, under-counter fridge, freezer, and a washer/dryer. The well-presented bedroom features a queen-size bed, and the adjacent shower room offers a walk-in shower, heated towel rail, and toilet. Step outside to the garden, where outdoor seating and a barbecue await the perfect spot to plan your adventurous day over a morning coffee.
Just a short stroll from Tavistock town centre, Hollyhock immerses you in a vibrant destination with a unique selection of independent shops showcasing locally produced food. Dont miss the famous pannier market and the excellent array of cafes and restaurants within walking distance. Nature enthusiasts will be delighted by the abundance of walking and cycling routes, including those in Dartmoor National Park, the largest and wildest area of open countryside in the south of England, featuring ancient woodland, granite tors, and 368 square miles to explore. Outdoor activities abound, from canoeing to climbing and geocaching.
Explore the stunning beaches along the South Devon and Cornwall coasts, or visit National Trust properties such as Cothele House, Saltram House, Lydford Gorge, Buckland Abbey, and Castle Drogo. Hollyhock offers a tranquil escape for those eager to discover the beauty of this remarkable part of the world.£66From price per night based on 7 night stay
- Okehampton, EnglandOrchard Barn is a luxurious and spacious three-bedroom barn conversion just outside the small village of South Tawton. Set on a working farm close to Dartmoor National Park, it has been lovingly renovated by the owners in 2021 and lies in a rural setting.
Standing detached, it greets guests with a delicious welcome pack of thoughtfully provided fresh local produce. The owners can supply award winning meat (105 awards) for your stay and their neighbour can supply you with quiches, scones etc, so you can have a night free from cooking.
The open plan living space includes a well-equipped kitchen and a lovely dining and living area with a wood burner for the cooler months and air conditioning for the summer. The kitchen has a beautiful island worktop with a couple of stools, the perfect spot to plan your day over a morning coffee, and later you can gather round the striking oak dining table for a celebratory meal. The spacious living area combines traditional features of the barn with contemporary touches, and heading upstairs you will find three comfortable bedrooms, each with a super kingsize bed (two of the zip and link bedrooms can be split to accommodate four children in one bedroom if required), two with an en-suite shower room, and the other bedroom has use of the family bathroom featuring a luxurious roll-top bath.
Sit outside and enjoy peace in the garden beside the apple orchard, with its outdoor seating, picnic benches and barbecue with complimentary pack of charcoal. There is also an outside dog shower with hot and cold water. The external games room is a great additional space, featuring a table tennis table, space to store bicycles and surfboards, a washing machine and a tumble dryer.
Set on the Northeastern edge of the stunning Dartmoor National Park with walks and cycle paths from your doorstep, you can easily explore the beautiful surrounding countryside and discover the local wildlife, including the iconic Dartmoor ponies. Okehampton is a short distance way and has a good selection of shops, amenities and castle, or walk along the Tarka Trail and the old railway to Meldon reservoir. National Trust Castle Drogo is also nearby for a visit, and Devon’s bustling resorts and beautiful beaches are just a short drive away, including Teignmouth, Dawlish and Exmouth (reached in 40 minutes).
With beautiful surroundings, Orchard Barn is the perfect choice for a truly memorable holiday. Central to both North and South Coastlines and easy access to the A30, it is easy to get to ‘everywhere’! Castles, Gorges, stately homes, riverside walks, moorland walks, horse riding, mountain biking, Tarka Trail, Granite Way, Wray Valley (three off road level routes for cycling), Chagford and Okehampton swimming pool.£173From price per night based on 7 night stay
- Dulverton, EnglandIf stunning scenery, a picture-perfect village and stylish yet comfortable accommodation is on your tick list, then Withymead Cottage is the place for you! Set all on the ground floor with ramped access, you enter into the spacious yet cosy open plan living, dining and kitchen area. The kitchen comes fully equipped with an electric hob and oven, dishwasher, washing machine and all you need to whip up everything from the simplest meal to a family feast! The living area has a gorgeous corner sofa, TV and gas wood burner, making this the perfect space to relax after a busy day exploring Exmoor. The bedrooms, each with a Smart TV, are located at each end of the apartment, with a twin bedroom at one end and a double bedroom at the other which has beautiful French doors leading to your private gravelled courtyard. The large bathroom has a bath with shower over, toilet and light up mirror, there is also a second separate toilet. Outside, you have two private courtyard spaces, both of which are fully enclosed and have seating areas where you can sit back and relax or enjoy an al fresco meal. Your four legged family members are able to run around in this area. You also have use of the owner’s enchanting landscaped gardens that lead down to the River Barle, where you are able to spend time fishing as the owners have the rights to this part of the river! *Please keep your dogs on the lead in the main gardens due to the owner’s chickens and ducks.
When staying at Withymead Cottage, you are lucky enough to be staying in one of Exmoor’s most picturesque villages, with its river meandering through, a fabulous tea room, well stocked local shop and a 17th-century pub, it truly is the English countryside at its finest. Miles and miles of walks head off in every direction or jump in your car and discover more of the area, such as Tarr Steps or the beautiful north coast towns of Porlock and Lynton. For more history head to the Medieval village of Dunster and visit the Castle then jump on the West Somerset Steam Railway and chug along the coast and through the countyside.£71From price per night based on 7 night stay
- Bovey Tracey, EnglandLemon Cottage is a fantastic 2021 refurbished self-catering holiday property nearby to the owner’s property, in the village of Bickington. Bickington is a village and civil parish in the Teignbridge district of Devon, England, on the east edge of the Dartmoor National Park. The village is about five miles west of Newton Abbot, on the River Lemon. The cottage is also just a 5-minute drive away from the nearby town of Ashburton, with its fantastic local antique shops, restaurants & bakery. In addition, Lemon Cottage is a 10-minute drive from Dartmoor and the famous Haytor Rock, a great day out for walking/hiking with a picnic and taking in the natural beauty and wildlife.
As you enter Lemon Cottage, there is a handy area for your coats and shoes along with dog beds for those four-legged friends. There is also a wet room by the front door, perfect for rinsing down after a day on the beach, or cleaning up mucky paws. Through the entrance hallway and into the fitted kitchen with breakfast bar overlooking the living/dining area. The living/dining area benefits from a cosy wood-burner to sit in front of playing board games, and has French doors which open out onto the rear garden. The rear garden is mainly lawned, but also has a small patio area, partially under cover with seating to enjoy a glass of wine in the evening or a fresh morning coffee. The rear garden boasts a hot tub, absolutely perfect for unwinding after a long day!
The first floor of Lemon Cottage is where the main bathroom is located, with bath & shower over as well as large double sink. Next to the bathroom is a double bedroom. Onto the second floor, and there are a further two bedrooms, a small twin room and a second double bedroom. All in all, Lemon Cottage is a beautifully cosy cottage with all the facilities you could want for a great holiday.£92From price per night based on 7 night stay
- Tavistock, EnglandBurrator Cottages are located in the Dartmoor National Park, outside the hamlet of Sheepstor. Set within 34 acres and named after the nearby tor, the 19th century estate is approached through a wooded valley with a moorland stream which meanders through the trees.
The Coach House (ref UK32684) is set into the side of a hill, the three-storey accommodation is spacious and comfortably furnished. As you enter on the ground floor, you will instantly be drawn to the living room where there are magical, far reaching views of Dartmoor, Sheepstor Brook and a large lake. Also on the ground floor is a utility room, a bathroom and two of the bedrooms. An additional two bedrooms can be found upstairs on the first floor. On the lower ground floor is a slate-floored kitchen which is fully equipped, and a separate dining room next door is a great space for everyone to get together to enjoy a family meal or a hearty breakfast. Outside you will find a large patio and the garden below which leads down to the stream. On a warmer evening, you can enjoy a glass of wine outside and eat al fresco before the night draws in and you can gaze up to the clear sky to appreciate the stars.
The Stables (ref UK32685) is a two-bedroom apartment set on the ground floor of a two-storey barn conversion. Head into the open plan living space, which has a comfortably furnished living area, a well-equipped kitchen area and a dining area, perfect for enjoying a family meal. The 2 double bedrooms (one can be twin beds on request) are perfect for accommodating a family and they share use of a family shower room.
The Hayloft (ref UK32686) is a two-bedroom apartment set on the first floor of a two-storey barn conversion. Head up the stone steps to the front door and walk into the open plan living space. The living area is a great space to kick back and relax after a day exploring the area. Or, why not whip up a meal for all the family to enjoy in the dining area? Two double bedrooms (one can be twin beds on request), and a family shower room completes this wonderful property.
Guests can enjoy the excellent walking, riding, cycling and fishing all available in the area. The estate is located on the open moor here and it is a lovely place to walk and gaze at the surrounding countryside where the idyllic rural scenes of ‘War Horse’ were filmed. Explore the picturesque Burrator Reservoir or Plym Valley. There is a 21-mile-long cycling and walking route, Drakes Trail, which runs through nearby Yelverton and links Tavistock and Plymouth sweeping through wooded valleys and open moorland. Nearby attractions include Buckland Abbey, The Garden House and Burrator Reservoir, or Plymouth’s city amenities. The South Devon coast is within easy reach for day trips to Salcombe and the pretty riverside village of Newton Ferrers makes a memorable day out.
These properties can be booked together to accommodate up to 16 guests.£116From price per night based on 7 night stay