Pet Friendly Holidays Dartmoor
Dartmoor National Park with its sweeping landscape and wild ponies, is a great place to find dog hotels for a pooch-filled getaway. This rugged Devon landscape, that's steeped in rich history is ideally located for your four-legged friends.
- Tavistock, EnglandThis three bedroom bungalow is situated within the village of Walkhampton on the western side of Dartmoor, in the county of Devon, an ideal base to explore.
This delightful bungalow is all on one floor with a lovely, enclosed garden which is ideal for children to play and for your four-legged friends.
Located within the Dartmoor National Park, within easy reach of the Tamar Valley, an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and just 4 miles from the Drakes Trail cycle path which links Plymouth to Tavistock, this stunning area is ideally suited for visitors who enjoy cycling and walking. The ancient stannary and market town of Tavistock is 6¾ miles away with it’s famous pannier market and an array of independent shops. Beach 17¼ miles. Shop 1¼ miles, pub and restaurant 150 yards.£71From price per night based on 7 night stay
- Bittaford, EnglandWadadli Lodge is something quite unusual. A contemporary, detached, Swedish-style house built of local stone and oak, offering beautiful interior design. The property stands in its own garden, with its own outdoor heatedswimming pool. From the living room, balcony and decked garden, the pool can be viewed so it is easy to keep an eye on the youngsters enjoying themselves splashing around and having fun. The living area boasts high vaulted ceilings with oak flooring, with large glass windows at one end opening onto a large glass balcony overlooking the swimming-pool. Both double bedrooms are en-suite and have French doors which open onto the decked garden.
The holiday property is located just outside of Ivybridge in close proximity to the A38, in countryside ideal for horse riding; many of the fields surrounding have horses and stabling. Ivybridge is located on the edge of Dartmoor National Park and a short drive leads up onto the open moorland. In the other direction heading towards the coast there are many beaches, all approximately half an hour’s drive away, including Mothecombe, Bantham, Bigbury and Wembury. Plymouth city centre is 7 miles away with its historical Barbican and Hoe, as well as theatres, cinemas, bowling, pubs, restaurants, concert hall, ice skating, aquarium, ski slope and night clubs. Shops 3 miles.£174From price per night based on 7 night stay
- Totnes, EnglandNestled within 240 acres of unspoilt farmland, in the glorious South Hams midway between Dartmoor and the stunning south Devon beaches, Wheeldon Farm Cottages are the perfect choice for family, friends and couples to enjoy a relaxing retreat or an action packed escape at any time of year. The four delightful, pet-friendly barn conversions (refs 27214, 27215, 27216 and UKC748), which could be booked together for larger parties, sit within a lovely courtyard setting surrounded by miles of footpaths and green lanes, ideal for walking or cycling. The master bedroom in each property features a flatscreen TV, and home-made meals can be pre-ordered and delivered to the cottage (arranged direct with the owner). The cottages lie just a short distance from some of south Devon’s finest beaches and tourist attractions, including the historic town of Totnes which is just 15 minutes away and sits on the River Dart with cruises down river to Greenway and Dartmouth. A cosmopolitan town, Totnes, 7 miles away, has a vast array of independent shops, weekly markets, galleries, leisure centre and many lovely restaurants, bistros and cafés. The seaside towns of Paignton and Torquay are 40 minutes’ drive, and it is just a 15-minute drive to the yachting haven of Dartmouth, and the coastline between Dartmouth and Kingsbridge, both 7 miles away, has many stunning beaches, hidden coves and fantastic coastal walks.
Guests of these cottages can also enjoy a range of on-site facilities suitable for all the family, including a heated indoor swimming pool (available via a booking system) with a private changing room and shower. There is a large games room set over two floors, including a fitness room with a cross trainer, treadmill, rowing machine and exercise bike. The top floor of the games room has a full-size American pool table, big sofa and Sky TV. The bottom floor has table tennis and table football. On-site there is also a laundry and ironing room. If you are looking for adventure and an adrenalin rush, then Wheeldon Farm Cottages will not disappoint. The Wheeldon Off-Road Centre, adjacent to the cottages, boasts a purpose-built, 30,000 square foot indoor arena (split in separate halves for motorbikes and bicycles) and junior training circuit, and is the ideal year-round venue for the whole family to learn to ride a motorcycle in a fun and controlled environment. Discounted rates are available for children and adults during the school holidays (booking by arrangement and on arrival), providing children and adults with the opportunity to experience the ultimate, two-wheel off-road adventure for the first time. The instructors at Wheeldon Farm are all ACU accredited and will guide the children through their paces every step of the way. For some activities, all the kit, clothing, boots, gloves, helmets and fun bikes are provided. All that’s needed is the enthusiasm to have a great deal of fun! Suited to all ages from 7 years to fit seniors. Wheeldon Farm now offers all of it’s holiday cottage customers a free 1 hour ‘taster’ ride on our professionally maintained Haibike electric bikes, after which they are available to hire. The bikes are perfect for exploring the beautiful South Devon countryside in an environmentally friendly way. We can advise you on the best routes to ride and places to explore.
In addition to all the motorbike fun, a range of other activities can also be organised locally, including horse riding, golf, go-karting and trout and carp fishing. Also, clay pigeon shooting, air rifle and archery are available - these are run by a fully qualified instructor and all equipment is provided. The activities run on a Monday, Thursday and Sunday. Prices will be charged accordingly when bookings are made. Please note, extra activities and catering requests must be pre-booked with Wheeldon Farm Cottages prior to guests’ arrival at the site. Foxglove (ref 27214), Poppy (ref 27215), Monkshood (ref 27216) and Mad Nelly Cottage (ref UKC748) can be booked together to accommodate up to 29 guests. Beach 10 miles. Shop 3 miles, pub 2 miles and restaurant 6 miles.£81From price per night based on 7 night stay
- Bovey Tracey, EnglandShewte Farm is an elegant, Grade II listed, galleried stone barn and has a floor-to-ceiling picture window offering spectacular views over Dartmoor. Sleeping six comfortably in three spacious bedrooms, it has an open plan living space with French limestone floor, underfloor heating and a wood burner. It has been furnished throughout with characterful antiques and the highest quality linen. Guests also have use of the adjoining games barn and the tree house.
The location is idyllic and ever so peaceful, set in the middle of 80 acres of fields, woods and streams set between the National Park and National Trust land. The area is exceptionally rich in wildlife including buzzards, deer, otters (part of National England Otter Survey) and sky larks, as well as England’s largest collection of bog myrtle. The location is perfect for walking or cycling on Dartmoor, visiting numerous beaches or National Trust properties. Despite this rural setting not far from Bovey Tracey, which include an excellent delicatessen, butcher, baker and restaurants. Beach 10 miles. Shops and restaurants 1½ miles.£180From price per night based on 7 night stay
- Okehampton, EnglandOrchard Barn is a luxurious and spacious three-bedroom barn conversion just outside the small village of South Tawton. Set on a working farm close to Dartmoor National Park, it has been lovingly renovated by the owners in 2021 and lies in a rural setting.
Standing detached, it greets guests with a delicious welcome pack of thoughtfully provided fresh local produce. The owners can supply award winning meat (105 awards) for your stay and their neighbour can supply you with quiches, scones etc, so you can have a night free from cooking.
The open plan living space includes a well-equipped kitchen and a lovely dining and living area with a wood burner for the cooler months and air conditioning for the summer. The kitchen has a beautiful island worktop with a couple of stools, the perfect spot to plan your day over a morning coffee, and later you can gather round the striking oak dining table for a celebratory meal. The spacious living area combines traditional features of the barn with contemporary touches, and heading upstairs you will find three comfortable bedrooms, each with a super kingsize bed (two of the zip and link bedrooms can be split to accommodate four children in one bedroom if required), two with an en-suite shower room, and the other bedroom has use of the family bathroom featuring a luxurious roll-top bath.
Sit outside and enjoy peace in the garden beside the apple orchard, with its outdoor seating, picnic benches and barbecue with complimentary pack of charcoal. There is also an outside dog shower with hot and cold water. The external games room is a great additional space, featuring a table tennis table, space to store bicycles and surfboards, a washing machine and a tumble dryer.
Set on the Northeastern edge of the stunning Dartmoor National Park with walks and cycle paths from your doorstep, you can easily explore the beautiful surrounding countryside and discover the local wildlife, including the iconic Dartmoor ponies. Okehampton is a short distance way and has a good selection of shops, amenities and castle, or walk along the Tarka Trail and the old railway to Meldon reservoir. National Trust Castle Drogo is also nearby for a visit, and Devon’s bustling resorts and beautiful beaches are just a short drive away, including Teignmouth, Dawlish and Exmouth (reached in 40 minutes).
With beautiful surroundings, Orchard Barn is the perfect choice for a truly memorable holiday. Central to both North and South Coastlines and easy access to the A30, it is easy to get to ‘everywhere’! Castles, Gorges, stately homes, riverside walks, moorland walks, horse riding, mountain biking, Tarka Trail, Granite Way, Wray Valley (three off road level routes for cycling), Chagford and Okehampton swimming pool.£173From price per night based on 7 night stay
- Tavistock, EnglandSituated in the heart of Dartmoor National Park, Higher Rowes Farm is a mid-terrace, stone barn conversion set within the grounds of the owner’s home. This three-bedroom holiday property with three bathrooms would suit a family or friends wishing to holiday together. Perfect for outdoor enthusiasts, as you can walk from your front door onto open moorland.
After an action packed day exploring Dartmoor, head into the restful open plan living and dining area, and unwind on the sofas, watching a film on the Freeview Smart TV, enjoying the glows of the wood burner in the background. The well-equipped kitchen includes a gas cooker, dishwasher, microwave, American fridge/freezer and a washing machine. Head upstairs where there are three beautiful bedrooms. The first has a kingsize bed with a Smart TV and en-suite shower room, the second with a double bed and an en-suite shower room, and the third has twin beds. The family bathroom is on the same floor and is fitted with a bathtub and a separate shower cubicle. When the sun is shining, head out into the sunny enclosed garden to enjoy the stunning moorland views from its built-in al fresco dining area – the ideal spot for that morning coffee or sundowner.
Higher Rowes Farm is peacefully situated in the hamlet of Horndon just one mile from the village of Mary Tavy with it’s friendly local pub, post office and village shop. The property isn’t completely remote though, as just five miles away lies the Stannary town of Tavistock, with its farmers’ market, boutique shops, supermarkets, bistros, pubs, and cafés. The property’s West Devon location means that it is possible to reach both the north and south coasts of Cornwall and Devon in under an hour, and of particular interest, are the fishing village of Looe, King Arthur’s Tintagel, and the National Trust village of Boscastle. There are also plenty of local beauty spots nearby, including the Lydford Gorge, Burrator Reservoir, Dartmoor Zoo, Castle Drogo and the historic Buckland Abbey. Enjoy the 11 miles of traffic-free route, The Granite Way that stretches from Okehampton to Lydford winding through some of the most stunning Dartmoor countryside and moorland.
Home to 368 square miles of natural delights, Dartmoor National Park boasts a plethora of walking and cycling routes leading you through steep wooded river valleys to enticing archaeological sites. There’s so much to explore here, with ample opportunities for outdoor activity including canoeing, climbing, geocaching and more. Higher Rowes Farm is a holiday home for all seasons and will provide a wonderful and relaxing base to explore and recharge the batteries; there is also a very good riding stables on the moor nearby called Cholwell riding stables. Beach 25 miles.£66From price per night based on 7 night stay