Featuring fascinating towns and villages, gorgeous landscapes, and staggering coastlines Essex is a lovely destination for a dog-friendly holiday. With an abundance of beaches, woodlands and rich farmland to discover, you and your furry friend can enjoy some of the most amazing walkies!
- Elsenham, EnglandSurrounded by 6 acres of paddock and woodland, Evie Rose Cottage is a stable conversion which is semi-detached with the owners’ home, and offers a private bolthole, making it a perfect base for touring the area or just relaxing by the fire. It has been restored, decorated and furnished to a good standard and is a quaint, comfortable property.
Located next door to a state of the art, brand new driving range which is flood lit for guests to enjoy; 9-hole golf course, adventure golf, club house with bar and restaurant, plus a well-equipped gym (at cost). Pets are welcome too, so why not bring along your 4-legged friend and enjoy the open space? A village shop, hairdressers, post office, pub and takeaway can be found within 1 mile, whilst the village of Stansted, 3 miles, has a variety of shops, pubs and restaurants. Local attractions include Audley End House, Stansted Mountfitchet Castle and Toy Museum, and Hatfield Forest. Also nearby are many attractive historic villages, including Thaxted and Finchingfield. There are also excellent train links from Elsenham train station, 1½ miles, to Cambridge 30 minutes and London 45 minutes and only 2 miles from Stansted airport. Shop 1 mile, pub ½ mile and restaurant ¼ mile.£79From price per night based on 7 night stay
- EnglandOasis is a stunning end of terrace cottage which has been lovingly updated and extended to a high standard. It is perfect for families and couples wanting to explore the Essex countryside. Oasis is a gem with a fabulous open plan modern living space, featuring underfloor heating, a 43” Smart TV, Laura Ashley leather sofas and a large snuggler armchair. The dining area can easily seat eight, and the kitchen is well-equipped. There is also a cosy snug with an ornate wood burner, 46” Smart TV and a chaise-style couch and armchair. From here a door leads to some steep, 18th-century stairs to two of the bedrooms, which both have casement windows with lovely views over the front garden and village street. The snug also leads to a wet room with a multi-jet ’tower’ shower, and a utility room with a washing machine, tumble dryer and a butler sink, and there is a half size door through to to a patio area and garden.
Upstairs there is a master bedroom with Juliet balcony and stunning views over the garden. The generous 1/3-acre garden is laid mainly to lawn, with a variety of mature trees, including ash, birch, horse chestnut, walnut, palm trees and various fruit trees. The rear garden is enclosed, whilst the side garden is laid to gravel and provides parking for five cars.
Bradwell-on-Sea is a friendly unspoilt village located on the Dengie Peninsular. Here you will find the oldest chapel in England (St.Peter’s) dating back to 653 AD. There are excellent water sports available on the Blackwater estuary and nearby attractions include RHS Hyde Hall, and the town of Maldon with boat trips and fantastic splash parks for children. Beach 1 mile. Shop, pub and restaurant ¼ mile.£128From price per night based on 7 night stay
- Sible Hedingham, EnglandThis detached, thatched, Grade II listed holiday cottage dating back to the 15th century has exposed beams and an enclosed garden. Cosy in the winter and cool in the summer, it is perfect for a year-round break. As the cottage is 550 years old, it may not be suitable for the elderly, young children or people with mobility issues due to the uneven floors and steep stairs. and downstairs toilet. Surrounded by countryside, footpaths abound; the area is ideal for walking or cycling. Shop and restaurant ¼ mile, pub 20 yards.£54From price per night based on 7 night stay
- Selsey Ave, EnglandThe Beach House is set on the coast of Clacton-on-Sea, boasting fantastic sea views making this seaside property the perfect coastal break for families and groups of friends. The property has been decorated and furnished to a good standard, catering for all ages, with a downstairs bedroom and bathroom available. Situated over three floors, the views from the living room balcony are perfect for a warm evening, overlooking the English Channel. The Beach House has 4 bedrooms with a mixture of twin, bunk and double rooms, a light and bright conservatory, with a dining table and enclosed garden. There are many walks and cycling routes nearby and plenty of local attractions including the award-winning beaches, Clacton-on-Sea Golf Course, sea fishing and wind surfing. The famous Clacton-on-Sea pier hosts several attractions and an array of shops, bars, restaurants, theatre or enjoy a new movie in the cinema. Further afield, guests can explore the historic town of Colchester, the oldest recorded town in the Britain. Take a step back in time and visit the historic villages in Essex and Constable Country in nearby Suffolk. For a trip to the capital, London is around 1 hour 20 minutes away by train for a day exploring and enjoying the many attractions London has on offer. Beach 100 yards. Shop and restaurant ½ mile, pub 200 yards.£120From price per night based on 7 night stay
- EnglandMark Farmhouse is an early 20th century, traditional weatherboard farmhouse, deep in the Essex countryside. A perfect base from which to enjoy a variety of outdoor activities on the nearby coast and in the surrounding countryside, or to make visits to the county’s historic towns and villages. There is a dog friendly beach within 3 miles.
Located on an organic farm, Mark Farmhouse provides space, peace and tranquillity in which to relax and unwind. Modern facilities, wooden floors and comfy furniture combine with original fireplaces in several rooms. A large, yet cosy living room is the perfect room for adults to chat over a cup of tea or glass of fizz while the children play games or catch up on TV in the snug next door. A door leads from here through to the dining room. Walk through to the kitchen where you can sit and drink your morning coffee at the breakfast bar and look out towards the coast or spot the many different birds just beyond the window. A step down from the kitchen leads to the utility room, great for storing muddy boots or cleaning the dog after a walk in the fields. There is also a downstairs shower room and toilet.
Upstairs the light, double-aspect, kingsized bedroom overlooks the organic farmland. A further two bedrooms both with zip and link beds are on this floor, as well as a children’s bedroom with a single bed and cot. A family bathroom and separate toilet can also be found on this level. Beach 2 miles. Shop and pub 1 mile, restaurant 3 miles.£122From price per night based on 7 night stay
- EnglandThis perfect country home set in a rural location but close to lots of great things to see and do, The White House is the perfect retreat for discerning guests looking for a relaxing break. This part of Essex has so much to enjoy that you really will be spoilt for choice. Having that important wow factor that sets your holiday apart from all others. The private large enclosed landscaped lawn garden with seating terrace and furniture, and your very own hot tub to enjoy.
Once entering the property you are greeted with a stylish white interior and large reception rooms. This is a truly magnificent home to make memories to last a lifetime. A well equipped kitchen and a large dining table is perfect for the whole family to dine together and celebrate in style. For cooler nights, the living room has an electric wood burning effect fire, and great comfy sofas to relax and watch TV or a movie. Or why not enjoy the pool table for a friendly game of pool or make use of the jukebox? There are four bedrooms on first floor, the master boasts large super king double with walk-in wardrobe and en-suite, there are two further twin bedrooms and another double. The fifth bedroom is on second floor with its own bathroom.
The immediate local area offers some great walking and cycling opportunities. There are two pubs, both serving food nearby, nearest a 15 minutes’ strolling distance. Golf enthusiasts bring your clubs, several golf courses nearby. Thrill seekers will find Rope Runners, a ski and snowboarding slope and carting within easy reach and nature lovers will enjoy Thorndon Country Park, Weald Country Park and King George’s Fields. History buffs will also have much to explore as they can take the self-guided Brentwood Heritage tour or visit Brentwood Museum, The Secret Nuclear Bunker or Ingatestone Hall. Brentwood itself has lots of great shopping opportunities including many independent and boutique stores but real shopaholics should head to the discount designer outlet Freeport Braintree, which is just 50 minutes away.
If you’re in the mood for even more history or indeed more shopping, hop on a train and take a direct train into the City of London, where you can enjoy all that this amazing capital city has to offer. Animal lovers should make time to head to Colchester Zoo, 45 minutes away. There are so many great places to eat, some of which you will find very close by. Sandy beaches and coastal resorts of Leigh-on-Sea or Southend-on-Sea, where you can take in the sea air and enjoy all the fun of the fair 50 minutes’ drive. Beach 21 miles. Shop, pub and restaurant 1 mile.£265From price per night based on 7 night stay
- EnglandThe ground floor comprises an open plan living space with TV and a pull-out double bed, a well-kitted out kitchen and a modern shower room. To the first floor is the master bedroom with ample storage. Externally Riara Lodge is located to the front of the main house and offers off road private parking for up to two vehicles.
There is an array of things to see and do in the area with many pubs and resturants near by, whether you are walking, cycling, driving or using public transport. RHS Garden at Hyde Hall is 2 miles away with annual shows and an abundance of events. Thrift Wood Nature Reserve is directly opposite and is managed by the Essex Wildlife Trust. Other attractions include Stowmaries Great War aerodrome, 3 miles. Battlesbridge antique centre and Tiptree Jam Museum and tea shop. Great places to take the children include Bicknacre Petting Farm 1 mile, Danbury Country Park 2 miles, Marsh Farm 4 miles and Colchester Zoo 30 minutes away, Southend on Sea is 30 minutes away and has the longest pier in the world, with Adventure Island theme park next to the pier, Maldon is just 15 minutes away and Clacton 45 minutes away, all popular destinations, perfect for days out. Venture slightly further afield and you can reach central London by train in less than an hour, from the closest Train station in South Woodham Ferrers. If you would like to spend an afternoon shopping, Intu Lakeside is just a 35 minute drive. .£75From price per night based on 7 night stay
- EnglandGeorgian Escape is entirely unique and a feature property located to one side of a large Georgian house. The owners have used the best quality fixtures and fittings and have created a property that benefits from a modern and high-end bathroom and kitchen, a luxurious inspired living room and a cosy bedroom area. Georgian Escape is ready to welcome you to your own bit of romantic luxury in a fantastic rural location. As you enter the property, you’ll step straight into the well-thought-out and well-presented kitchen; this features everything that you’re likely to need for a short break or holiday. The main living room features three floor-to-ceiling windows and a fireplace. The dining room/office room is located beside the window overlooking a garden. Sit and read, watch some TV or just kick back with a home cooked meal, a glass of wine or two and relax.
There are no streetlights in the small village, so the stars are bright to enjoy on a clear night. Being in the heart of the village means that the local pub is only a minutes’ walk. If you fancy walking, then another of the local pubs is only 20 minutes across the fields, and local shops are just a short 5-7 minute drive away. Fancy a game of table tennis or working out in the local park? There is some good outside gym equipment that can be found within a 2 minutes’ walk away.
Georgian Escape is conveniently located close to Tiptree, with its famous jam factory; Maldon, famous for its sea salt and promenade, and Mersea Island, famous for its seafood. There is a good selection of shops, convenience stores, restaurants and take aways nearby.
Nearby tourist attractions include The Museum of Power, Beeleigh Abbey and Gardens, Stow Maries Great War Aerodrome, Hyde Hall RHS Gardens, Danbury Country Park and Colchester Zoo. Chelmsford can be reached in 25 minutes, Colchester in 20 and Southend in 45 minutes. If you fancy a trip to the capital, London can be reached in an hour. Fancy a day beside the seaside? This fantastic location offers Mersea Island to the north or Leigh-on-Sea to the south, both well known for their seafood. For those interested in golf or fishing, both options are only 10 minutes away. With lots of day out opportunities from your doorstep, make Georgian Escape the base for your next adventure. Beach 4 miles.£142From price per night based on 7 night stay
- EnglandWelcome to your charming retreat in the heart of Saffron Walden, where history meets modern comfort. This inviting one-bedroom Oast house offers a serene escape just a stone’s throw away from the iconic Audley House. Nestled amidst picturesque countryside, this accommodation seamlessly combines the rustic charm of a traditional Oast house with contemporary amenities. As you step through the welcoming doorway, you’re greeted by a cosy living space that exudes warmth and relaxation. The interior boasts a harmonious blend of tasteful furnishings that create an inviting atmosphere. There is a small balcony to sit on with a glass of your favourite tipple and if you do not fancy the short stroll then you can sit and listen to some of the glorious music from Audley End House. The kitchen, though compact, is well-equipped with modern appliances, allowing you to whip up delicious meals with ease. The bedroom is a haven of tranquillity, adorned with soft linens and plush pillows on the comfortable bed.
The Oast house is ideally located, allowing you to explore the nearby Audley House at your leisure. Immerse yourself in its rich history and elegant architecture, a testament to the grandeur of a bygone era. The medieval town of Saffron Walden with its array of shops, bars, restaurants and museum is a short stroll away. A walk around the Saturday market is perfect. If you fancy a day at the coast the pop along to Mersea Island. Mersea gets cut off for about an hour when there is a very high tide, usually once a month, so it’s worthwhile checking the tides, all adding to the uniqueness and charm. It is a beautiful island with lots of coastal and nature walks, seafood restaurants with the famous Mersea oysters, delis, takeaways, supermarket and child friendly pubs with craft beer. Why not visit Mersea Island vineyard and brewery where a beer festival is held at Easter and you can buy real ale, wines and even Mersea Island gin. The Mersea Regatta, which has been running since 1838, is held every August and should not be missed. There is a variety of rowing races, an outboard motor balloon race, swimming race and ‘walking The Greasy Pole’ and ends in a firework display in the evening. Just a bit further the popular seaside towns of Clacton, Frinton and Walton are great for a traditional day at the seaside, with amusements on the pier and lovely walks along the sea wall. For more traditional seaside fun with amusements and candy floss then Southend on Sea or Clacton is ideal. Pop on a train to London for a trip to the theatre, shopping in famous Oxford Street or have a lovely meal. Experience the fusion of history and comfort in this unique accommodation, where you can create cherished memories amidst the beauty of the Essex countryside.£65From price per night based on 7 night stay
- EnglandWelcome to your idyllic escape nestled within the heart of nature’s embrace, this charming three-bedroom thatched house set amidst 8-acres of enchanting woodland and serene ponds. Welcome to a haven of tranquillity and natural beauty where wild deer freely roam.
As you enter the property, you’ll be greeted by the timeless allure of a thatched roof, a quintessential symbol of rustic charm. The interior is equally inviting, boasting harmonious rustic elegance. The spacious living area, adorned with exposed wooden beams and a cosy fireplace provides the perfect setting for relaxation and gatherings. Large windows frame the conservatory and offer captivating views of the lush woodland, allowing the soft, dappled sunlight to filter through, creating an ambience of warmth. The well-equipped kitchen invites aspiring chefs to create culinary masterpieces, with modern appliances and ample counter space. A dining area adjacent offers a delightful setting for enjoying meals together. Three inviting bedrooms with en-suites are uniquely designed to provide comfort and style.
Outside, the 8-acres of woodland beckon you to explore. Wander along meandering pathways, discovering hidden corners and secret spots, or venture to the ponds where you can try your hand at fishing, take the rowing boat out or simply bask in the stillness of the water’s reflection. Nature enthusiasts will relish the opportunity to observe the local flora and fauna, with deer often making appearances in this enchanting setting. For those who seek adventure, the woodlands offer the perfect backdrop for hiking, birdwatching and picnicking. At night, gather around a crackling bonfire creating cherished memories with loved ones.
If you can tear yourself away and the children want some more adventure pop along to Southend on Sea where you will find miles of beach along with amusements and an adventure park. For a quiet seaside adventure try Mersea Island, Mersea gets cut off for about an hour when there is a very high tide, usually once a month, so it’s worthwhile checking the tides, all adding to the uniqueness and charm. It is a beautiful island with lots of coastal and nature walks, seafood restaurants with the famous Mersea oysters, delis, takeaways, supermarkets and child-friendly pubs with craft beer.
This unique property in 8-acres of woodland with ponds and wild deer is your opportunity to reconnect with nature, relax in unparalleled comfort, and create lasting memories with family and friends. Escape the hustle and bustle of everyday life and immerse yourself in the beauty and serenity of this truly exceptional retreat. Welcome to your woodland paradise. Beach 22¼ miles. Pub and restaurant ½ mile.£179From price per night based on 7 night stay