Featuring fascinating towns and villages, gorgeous landscapes, and staggering coastlines Essex is a lovely destination for a dog-friendly holiday. With an abundance of beaches, woodlands and rich farmland to discover, you and your furry friend can enjoy some of the most amazing walkies!
- Elsenham, EnglandSurrounded by 6 acres of paddock and woodland, Evie Rose Cottage is a stable conversion which is semi-detached with the owners’ home, and offers a private bolthole, making it a perfect base for touring the area or just relaxing by the fire. It has been restored, decorated and furnished to a good standard and is a quaint, comfortable property.
Located next door to a state of the art, brand new driving range which is flood lit for guests to enjoy; 9-hole golf course, adventure golf, club house with bar and restaurant, plus a well-equipped gym (at cost). Pets are welcome too, so why not bring along your 4-legged friend and enjoy the open space? A village shop, hairdressers, post office, pub and takeaway can be found within 1 mile, whilst the village of Stansted, 3 miles, has a variety of shops, pubs and restaurants. Local attractions include Audley End House, Stansted Mountfitchet Castle and Toy Museum, and Hatfield Forest. Also nearby are many attractive historic villages, including Thaxted and Finchingfield. There are also excellent train links from Elsenham train station, 1½ miles, to Cambridge 30 minutes and London 45 minutes and only 2 miles from Stansted airport. Shop 1 mile, pub ½ mile and restaurant ¼ mile.£79From price per night based on 7 night stay
- EnglandOasis is a stunning end of terrace cottage which has been lovingly updated and extended to a high standard. It is perfect for families and couples wanting to explore the Essex countryside. Oasis is a gem with a fabulous open plan modern living space, featuring underfloor heating, a 43” Smart TV, Laura Ashley leather sofas and a large snuggler armchair. The dining area can easily seat eight, and the kitchen is well-equipped. There is also a cosy snug with an ornate wood burner, 46” Smart TV and a chaise-style couch and armchair. From here a door leads to some steep, 18th-century stairs to two of the bedrooms, which both have casement windows with lovely views over the front garden and village street. The snug also leads to a wet room with a multi-jet ’tower’ shower, and a utility room with a washing machine, tumble dryer and a butler sink, and there is a half size door through to to a patio area and garden.
Upstairs there is a master bedroom with Juliet balcony and stunning views over the garden. The generous 1/3-acre garden is laid mainly to lawn, with a variety of mature trees, including ash, birch, horse chestnut, walnut, palm trees and various fruit trees. The rear garden is enclosed, whilst the side garden is laid to gravel and provides parking for five cars.
Bradwell-on-Sea is a friendly unspoilt village located on the Dengie Peninsular. Here you will find the oldest chapel in England (St.Peter’s) dating back to 653 AD. There are excellent water sports available on the Blackwater estuary and nearby attractions include RHS Hyde Hall, and the town of Maldon with boat trips and fantastic splash parks for children. Beach 1 mile. Shop, pub and restaurant ¼ mile.£128From price per night based on 7 night stay
- EnglandThis terraced holiday property beautifully twists old with new, having been sympathetically modernised throughout. The light and airy living area is completely open plan with a well-equipped modern kitchen. Upstairs are two double bedrooms with lovely views. To the front and rear are two gardens, the front benefiting from morning sun and rear being an afternoon sun trap.
The property is situated near the historic town of Maldon which offers a good range of pubs and restaurants as well as individual shops. There are excellent golf courses within the surrounding areas along with popular beaches such as West Mersea Beach within half an hours drive. Beach 15 miles. Shops and restaurants 2 miles, pub 170 yards.£62From price per night based on 7 night stay
- EnglandNestled on the serene banks of the tidal river in the heart of historic Maldon, this Riverside Retreat invites you to experience a unique and enchanting holiday escape. This charming static barge offers the perfect blend of cosy comforts and breathtaking waterway views, creating an unforgettable getaway that will soothe your soul. As you step aboard the lovingly refurbished barge, you will be welcomed by the wood burner and the tasteful furnishings. The barge is thoughtfully designed to accommodate up to four guests, making it an ideal choice for couples, families or friends seeking a tranquil riverside escape. The heart of the barge is a spacious living area, complete with a comfortable sofa and dining space where you can relish a meal or simply gaze out at the ever- changing tides. The bedroom with a kingsize bed comfortable ensures a peaceful night’s rest. Drift off to sleep while the gentle lapping of the water serenades you. The bathroom has a shower over the bath, ideal for soaking in after a day’s sightseeing, or a refreshing shower. Unwind in front of the wood burner allowing the dancing flames to create a warm and inviting atmosphere on chilly evenings with your favourite tipple, perfect for a romantic evening, chatting over your adventures from the day.
Step outside onto your private deck and be captivated by the ever-changing panorama of the tidal river. Watch boats sail by, spot local wildlife or simply enjoy the serenity.
Maldon is renowned for its maritime heritage and offers a charming array of shops, cafés and restaurants, all a short stroll away. This quintessential English town has much to offer, including traditional pubs and ancient architecture. Stroll along the quay and watch the famous Thames sailing barges, visit the Maldon Promenade Park, or take a scenic boat trip along the Blackwater estuary. There are plenty of walks along the Blackwater estuary where you will see beautiful wildlife.
A visit to Colchester is a perfect way to spend the day. Visit the famous castle, zoo or stroll around the shops then stop for a bite to eat in the many cafés and restaurants. There are many pretty Essex villages to enjoy just a short distance away. Just a 30-minute drive will take you to Mersea Island which is famous for its oysters, check the tide times though as it gets cut off at high tide. The Combined Military Museum is a very interesting place to visit.
The barge offers a serene escape from the hustle and bustle of everyday life, where the ebb and flow of the tides dictate the rhythm of your holiday. Whether you’re seeking a romantic break or a family adventure, Cos I Can promises an unforgettable experience and can be booked together with The Sail Loft (UK45571) to accommodate up to 8 guests.£76From price per night based on 7 night stay
- EnglandWelcome to your idyllic escape nestled within the heart of nature’s embrace, this charming three-bedroom thatched house set amidst 8-acres of enchanting woodland and serene ponds. Welcome to a haven of tranquillity and natural beauty where wild deer freely roam.
As you enter the property, you’ll be greeted by the timeless allure of a thatched roof, a quintessential symbol of rustic charm. The interior is equally inviting, boasting harmonious rustic elegance. The spacious living area, adorned with exposed wooden beams and a cosy fireplace provides the perfect setting for relaxation and gatherings. Large windows frame the conservatory and offer captivating views of the lush woodland, allowing the soft, dappled sunlight to filter through, creating an ambience of warmth. The well-equipped kitchen invites aspiring chefs to create culinary masterpieces, with modern appliances and ample counter space. A dining area adjacent offers a delightful setting for enjoying meals together. Three inviting bedrooms with en-suites are uniquely designed to provide comfort and style.
Outside, the 8-acres of woodland beckon you to explore. Wander along meandering pathways, discovering hidden corners and secret spots, or venture to the ponds where you can try your hand at fishing, take the rowing boat out or simply bask in the stillness of the water’s reflection. Nature enthusiasts will relish the opportunity to observe the local flora and fauna, with deer often making appearances in this enchanting setting. For those who seek adventure, the woodlands offer the perfect backdrop for hiking, birdwatching and picnicking. At night, gather around a crackling bonfire creating cherished memories with loved ones.
If you can tear yourself away and the children want some more adventure pop along to Southend on Sea where you will find miles of beach along with amusements and an adventure park. For a quiet seaside adventure try Mersea Island, Mersea gets cut off for about an hour when there is a very high tide, usually once a month, so it’s worthwhile checking the tides, all adding to the uniqueness and charm. It is a beautiful island with lots of coastal and nature walks, seafood restaurants with the famous Mersea oysters, delis, takeaways, supermarkets and child-friendly pubs with craft beer.
This unique property in 8-acres of woodland with ponds and wild deer is your opportunity to reconnect with nature, relax in unparalleled comfort, and create lasting memories with family and friends. Escape the hustle and bustle of everyday life and immerse yourself in the beauty and serenity of this truly exceptional retreat. Welcome to your woodland paradise. Beach 22¼ miles. Pub and restaurant ½ mile.£179From price per night based on 7 night stay
- EnglandWelcome to your charming retreat in the heart of Saffron Walden, where history meets modern comfort. This inviting one-bedroom Oast house offers a serene escape just a stone’s throw away from the iconic Audley House. Nestled amidst picturesque countryside, this accommodation seamlessly combines the rustic charm of a traditional Oast house with contemporary amenities. As you step through the welcoming doorway, you’re greeted by a cosy living space that exudes warmth and relaxation. The interior boasts a harmonious blend of tasteful furnishings that create an inviting atmosphere. There is a small balcony to sit on with a glass of your favourite tipple and if you do not fancy the short stroll then you can sit and listen to some of the glorious music from Audley End House. The kitchen, though compact, is well-equipped with modern appliances, allowing you to whip up delicious meals with ease. The bedroom is a haven of tranquillity, adorned with soft linens and plush pillows on the comfortable bed.
The Oast house is ideally located, allowing you to explore the nearby Audley House at your leisure. Immerse yourself in its rich history and elegant architecture, a testament to the grandeur of a bygone era. The medieval town of Saffron Walden with its array of shops, bars, restaurants and museum is a short stroll away. A walk around the Saturday market is perfect. If you fancy a day at the coast the pop along to Mersea Island. Mersea gets cut off for about an hour when there is a very high tide, usually once a month, so it’s worthwhile checking the tides, all adding to the uniqueness and charm. It is a beautiful island with lots of coastal and nature walks, seafood restaurants with the famous Mersea oysters, delis, takeaways, supermarket and child friendly pubs with craft beer. Why not visit Mersea Island vineyard and brewery where a beer festival is held at Easter and you can buy real ale, wines and even Mersea Island gin. The Mersea Regatta, which has been running since 1838, is held every August and should not be missed. There is a variety of rowing races, an outboard motor balloon race, swimming race and ‘walking The Greasy Pole’ and ends in a firework display in the evening. Just a bit further the popular seaside towns of Clacton, Frinton and Walton are great for a traditional day at the seaside, with amusements on the pier and lovely walks along the sea wall. For more traditional seaside fun with amusements and candy floss then Southend on Sea or Clacton is ideal. Pop on a train to London for a trip to the theatre, shopping in famous Oxford Street or have a lovely meal. Experience the fusion of history and comfort in this unique accommodation, where you can create cherished memories amidst the beauty of the Essex countryside.£65From price per night based on 7 night stay
- EnglandSet in the heart of the pretty village of Rickling Green, close to Bishop’s Stortford, this truly stunning conversion of an old parish hall is the ideal retreat away from the hustle and bustle. The property was originally built in the 1800’s. As soon as you walk through the door you are taken back by the splendour of this property. The hall has been sympathetically restored with stone floors and a wealth of vintage and quirky features, as well as an out of keeping jet engine cowling.
The property has the luxury of underfloor heating, and the fitted kitchen has an Aga which is perfect for cold winter days (off in the summer months). The living/dining room is a bright welcoming room with high ceilings, many vintage features, sumptuous leather sofas, a large desk, and a welcoming wood burner, perfect for cosy evenings with your favourite tipple. The 8-seater dining room table converts to a snooker table.
The bedroom, located on the mezzanine floor, is accessed by beautiful Edwardian oak spiral staircase, here you will find a large kingsize bed, a sofa, and a large en-suite. Outside is a small garden area where you can sit and enjoy a barbecue or enjoy the starry night sky. If you fancy a bite to eat or drink, there is an award-winning pub just a stone’s throw away.
The Old Parish Hall is just 5 minutes’ from the village of Stansted Mountfitchet, where you can catch a regular service for the train to London (40 minutes) or Cambridge (30 minutes), or visit Stansted Mountfitchet Castle, Toy Museum, or various lovely restaurants or drinking establishments.
The bustling market town of Saffron Walden is 15 minutes’, where you can visit Audley End House, to see the miniature railway or attend one of many summer concerts. The Duxford Imperial War Museum, or the riverside town of Bishop’s Stortford are likewise 15 minutes’ away. Half an hour’s drive away is the famous Newmarket Racecourse, or 40 minutes’ away the University City of Cambridge. There are golf clubs at nearby Elsenham, Bishop’s Stortford and Saffron Walden. For a day at the coast, an hour’s drive to Mersea will not disappoint.£86From price per night based on 7 night stay
- EnglandGeorgian Escape is entirely unique and a feature property located to one side of a large Georgian house. The owners have used the best quality fixtures and fittings and have created a property that benefits from a modern and high-end bathroom and kitchen, a luxurious inspired living room and a cosy bedroom area. Georgian Escape is ready to welcome you to your own bit of romantic luxury in a fantastic rural location. As you enter the property, you’ll step straight into the well-thought-out and well-presented kitchen; this features everything that you’re likely to need for a short break or holiday. The main living room features three floor-to-ceiling windows and a fireplace. The dining room/office room is located beside the window overlooking a garden. Sit and read, watch some TV or just kick back with a home cooked meal, a glass of wine or two and relax.
There are no streetlights in the small village, so the stars are bright to enjoy on a clear night. Being in the heart of the village means that the local pub is only a minutes’ walk. If you fancy walking, then another of the local pubs is only 20 minutes across the fields, and local shops are just a short 5-7 minute drive away. Fancy a game of table tennis or working out in the local park? There is some good outside gym equipment that can be found within a 2 minutes’ walk away.
Georgian Escape is conveniently located close to Tiptree, with its famous jam factory; Maldon, famous for its sea salt and promenade, and Mersea Island, famous for its seafood. There is a good selection of shops, convenience stores, restaurants and take aways nearby.
Nearby tourist attractions include The Museum of Power, Beeleigh Abbey and Gardens, Stow Maries Great War Aerodrome, Hyde Hall RHS Gardens, Danbury Country Park and Colchester Zoo. Chelmsford can be reached in 25 minutes, Colchester in 20 and Southend in 45 minutes. If you fancy a trip to the capital, London can be reached in an hour. Fancy a day beside the seaside? This fantastic location offers Mersea Island to the north or Leigh-on-Sea to the south, both well known for their seafood. For those interested in golf or fishing, both options are only 10 minutes away. With lots of day out opportunities from your doorstep, make Georgian Escape the base for your next adventure. Beach 4 miles.£142From price per night based on 7 night stay
- EnglandThe ground floor comprises an open plan living space with TV and a pull-out double bed, a well-kitted out kitchen and a modern shower room. To the first floor is the master bedroom with ample storage. Externally Riara Lodge is located to the front of the main house and offers off road private parking for up to two vehicles.
There is an array of things to see and do in the area with many pubs and resturants near by, whether you are walking, cycling, driving or using public transport. RHS Garden at Hyde Hall is 2 miles away with annual shows and an abundance of events. Thrift Wood Nature Reserve is directly opposite and is managed by the Essex Wildlife Trust. Other attractions include Stowmaries Great War aerodrome, 3 miles. Battlesbridge antique centre and Tiptree Jam Museum and tea shop. Great places to take the children include Bicknacre Petting Farm 1 mile, Danbury Country Park 2 miles, Marsh Farm 4 miles and Colchester Zoo 30 minutes away, Southend on Sea is 30 minutes away and has the longest pier in the world, with Adventure Island theme park next to the pier, Maldon is just 15 minutes away and Clacton 45 minutes away, all popular destinations, perfect for days out. Venture slightly further afield and you can reach central London by train in less than an hour, from the closest Train station in South Woodham Ferrers. If you would like to spend an afternoon shopping, Intu Lakeside is just a 35 minute drive. .£61From price per night based on 7 night stay