Featuring fascinating towns and villages, gorgeous landscapes, and staggering coastlines Essex is a lovely destination for a dog-friendly holiday. With an abundance of beaches, woodlands and rich farmland to discover, you and your furry friend can enjoy some of the most amazing walkies!
- EnglandWelcome to your charming retreat in the heart of Saffron Walden, where history meets modern comfort. This inviting one-bedroom Oast house offers a serene escape just a stone’s throw away from the iconic Audley House. Nestled amidst picturesque countryside, this accommodation seamlessly combines the rustic charm of a traditional Oast house with contemporary amenities. As you step through the welcoming doorway, you’re greeted by a cosy living space that exudes warmth and relaxation. The interior boasts a harmonious blend of tasteful furnishings that create an inviting atmosphere. There is a small balcony to sit on with a glass of your favourite tipple and if you do not fancy the short stroll then you can sit and listen to some of the glorious music from Audley End House. The kitchen, though compact, is well-equipped with modern appliances, allowing you to whip up delicious meals with ease. The bedroom is a haven of tranquillity, adorned with soft linens and plush pillows on the comfortable bed.
There is no garden area around the property, however, but there are plenty of dog walks and a beautiful large common just off the centre of the town, which is a fantastic meeting place; the town is also very dog friendly in terms of pubs, cafés and tea rooms.
The Oast House is ideally located, allowing you to explore the nearby Audley House at your leisure. Immerse yourself in its rich history and elegant architecture, a testament to the grandeur of a bygone era. The medieval town of Saffron Walden with its array of shops, bars, restaurants and museum is a short stroll away. A walk around the Saturday market is perfect. If you fancy a day at the coast the pop along to Mersea Island. Mersea gets cut off for about an hour when there is a very high tide, usually once a month, so it’s worthwhile checking the tides, all adding to the uniqueness and charm. It is a beautiful island with lots of coastal and nature walks, seafood restaurants with the famous Mersea oysters, delis, takeaways, supermarket and child friendly pubs with craft beer. Why not visit Mersea Island vineyard and brewery where a beer festival is held at Easter and you can buy real ale, wines and even Mersea Island gin. The Mersea Regatta, which has been running since 1838, is held every August and should not be missed. There is a variety of rowing races, an outboard motor balloon race, swimming race and ‘walking The Greasy Pole’ and ends in a firework display in the evening. Just a bit further the popular seaside towns of Clacton, Frinton and Walton are great for a traditional day at the seaside, with amusements on the pier and lovely walks along the sea wall. For more traditional seaside fun with amusements and candy floss then Southend on Sea or Clacton is ideal. Pop on a train to London for a trip to the theatre, shopping in famous Oxford Street or have a lovely meal. Experience the fusion of history and comfort in this unique accommodation, where you can create cherished memories amidst the beauty of the Essex countryside.£77From price per night based on 7 night stay
- EnglandOasis is a stunning end of terrace cottage which has been lovingly updated and extended to a high standard. It is perfect for families and couples wanting to explore the Essex countryside. Oasis is a gem with a fabulous open plan modern living space, featuring underfloor heating, a 43” Smart TV, Laura Ashley leather sofas and a large snuggler armchair. The dining area can easily seat eight, and the kitchen is well-equipped. There is also a cosy snug with an ornate wood burner, 46” Smart TV and a chaise-style couch and armchair. From here a door leads to some steep, 18th-century stairs to two of the bedrooms, which both have casement windows with lovely views over the front garden and village street. The snug also leads to a wet room with a multi-jet ’tower’ shower, and a utility room with a washing machine, tumble dryer and a butler sink, and there is a half size door through to to a patio area and garden.
Upstairs there is a master bedroom with Juliet balcony and stunning views over the garden. The generous 1/3-acre garden is laid mainly to lawn, with a variety of mature trees, including ash, birch, horse chestnut, walnut, palm trees and various fruit trees. The rear garden is enclosed, whilst the side garden is laid to gravel and provides parking for five cars.
Bradwell-on-Sea is a friendly unspoilt village located on the Dengie Peninsular. Here you will find the oldest chapel in England (St.Peter’s) dating back to 653 AD. There are excellent water sports available on the Blackwater estuary and nearby attractions include RHS Hyde Hall, and the town of Maldon with boat trips and fantastic splash parks for children. Beach 1 mile. Shop, pub and restaurant ¼ mile.£131From price per night based on 7 night stay
- Langham, EnglandEnjoy a relaxing, rural holiday surrounded by 2½ acres of landscaped and natural gardens in one of these two properties which offer a fantastic location for a romantic getaway. With plenty of wildlife to spot, and beehives at the end of the garden, you can wander around the apple orchards or relax on your own private decking area, making this an ideal place for a countryside break. Converted from an old bakery and adjacent to the owners’ home, but very secluded, The Orchard (ref. 30314) and The Old Bakery (ref. 30315) still boast original wooden beams, and have been decorated and finished to a very good standard. Langham is about half way between Colchester and Ipswich, close to the A12 which gives easy transport links for exploring the local area. The northern boundary of Langham is also the boundary between Essex and Suffolk. The famous Constable Country is 3 miles away with Flatford Mill and Dedham Vale, and historic Colchester is close by, famous for its cobbled streets, castle and zoo, and has a wide variety of shops, pubs and restaurants. Also within reach are Ipswich, Chelmsford, Orford, Aldeburgh and Felixstowe, or enjoy the beach at Clacton-on-Sea. Opportunities for golf and fishing are available nearby, or travel a bit further afield and you can explore the myriad attractions of London. Shop and pub within 1 mile, restaurant 2 miles.
These properties can be booked together accommodate up to 4 guests.£84From price per night based on 7 night stay
- Birch, EnglandLocated in the quaint village of Birch, these semi-detached, cosy cottages (31049 and 31050) have been built with the purpose of a holiday home in mind. Adjacent to the owner’s home, both properties comfortably sleep 2 guests with the option of extra guests with the sofa bed in the living space. Wood burners give a warm and welcoming feel to the cottages which have a contemporary theme throughout. It is a good base for exploring Essex and Suffolk, birdwatching on the nearby nature reserves, sea angling from Mersea Island, or just enjoying the local beaches and countryside. Close to Colchester, Britain’s oldest recorded town with a castle, museums, art gallery, many Roman remains, a good shopping centre, Colchester Zoo and a mainline rail link to London (40 minutes). Mersea Island is 8 miles away for its locally caught fish and oysters, as well as its sailing and beaches. Within easy driving distance are the popular sightseeing destinations of Flatford Mill, Lavenham, Finchingfield and Kersey. Shop 4 miles, real ale pub serving food 300 yards.£55From price per night based on 7 night stay
- Elsenham, EnglandSurrounded by 6 acres of paddock and woodland, Evie Rose Cottage is a stable conversion which is semi-detached with the owners’ home, and offers a private bolthole, making it a perfect base for touring the area or just relaxing by the fire. It has been restored, decorated and furnished to a good standard and is a quaint, comfortable property.
Located next door to a state of the art, brand new driving range which is flood lit for guests to enjoy; 9-hole golf course, adventure golf, club house with bar and restaurant, plus a well-equipped gym (at cost). Pets are welcome too, so why not bring along your 4-legged friend and enjoy the open space? A village shop, hairdressers, post office, pub and takeaway can be found within 1 mile, whilst the village of Stansted, 3 miles, has a variety of shops, pubs and restaurants. Local attractions include Audley End House, Stansted Mountfitchet Castle and Toy Museum, and Hatfield Forest. Also nearby are many attractive historic villages, including Thaxted and Finchingfield. There are also excellent train links from Elsenham train station, 1½ miles, to Cambridge 30 minutes and London 45 minutes and only 2 miles from Stansted airport. Shop 1 mile, pub ½ mile and restaurant ¼ mile.£79From price per night based on 7 night stay
- Harwich, EnglandA contemporary, first-floor apartment overlooking the sea in Harwich, Essex. Open-plan living. Close to beach and amenities. Bedroom with en-suite. Clacton-on-Sea 15.9 miles; Colchester 18.9 miles.£75From price per night based on 7 night stay
- EnglandThis brand new (in 2022) holiday retreat is set on a fruit farm in the Essex countryside. Bramley Cottage is a one-bedroom property which provides fabulous holiday accommodation perfect for a couple looking to get away for a short break or week long stay. The open-plan living space flows through the bi-fold doors to the outdoor patio where you can relax in the evening sun keeping warm by the glowing fire pit. On chillier days, enjoy the warmth of the wood burner in the living space. The double bedroom provides a restful night sleep, then wake up to beautiful views of the fruit farm and countryside beyond from the window. Bramley Cottage is set within a fruit farm where you can pick your own plums in season, or purchase some of the delicious local honey on offer.
Set within the Epping Forest District of Essex, this area provides lots to do and explore, including the steam railway which starts from Chipping Ongar, only 3 miles away, which winds through the beautiful Essex countryside. Looking for a high adrenaline activity? Lee Valley White Water Centre is within a 25-minute drive. Enjoy walking or mountain biking within Epping Forest.
There are many historic houses and museums close by including The Royal Gunpowder Mills, Copped Hall, Queen Elizabeth’s Hunting Lodge, Epping Forest District Museum and National Speedway Museum. Fancy a little retail therapy during your break? Head to Epping Forest Shopping Park. Epping, Waltham Abbey and Ongar are vibrant historic towns with active market days. Loughton also hosts a monthly farmer’s market and North Weald Airfield boasts one of the country’s biggest open air markets every Saturday and Bank Holiday Monday.
The towns and villages in this area offer a friendly welcome and a variety of unique settings where cafés, restaurants and pubs sit alongside the best in local retail, surrounded by heritage that extends into the surrounding countryside and with easy access to the capital, there are plenty of places to visit whatever time of the year.£82From price per night based on 7 night stay