- Oakham, England
You can slow down and take it easy in the tranquil grounds of the super dog-friendly Rutland Hall Hotel - a blissful 19th-century bolthole with sleek interiors overlooking Rutland Water.£109Price per night from
- Middle St, EnglandThis delightful, Grade II listed, thatched stone cottage is tucked away on a quiet lane with a superb country pub just a short walk away. One of a pair, the accommodation is like a home from home, combining a contemporary home with traditional features, beamed ceilings and wood-burning stove set in an inglenook fireplace for those cosy nights in. A separate snug even allows you space to simply sit by yourself, relax and unwind with a good book. Rutland Water (with world class fly fishing), Oakham, Uppingham and Stamford (home of the International Burghley Horse Trials) are all a short drive, with great walks and cycle routes from the front door.
A sheltered stone terraced area to the rear equipped with an Outback barbecue, offers a lovely spot for al fresco dining with a large lawn to one side with 6 seater rattan garden furniture and parasol. Tom Cottage even boasts a roll-top bath in the bedroom to have a relaxing soak in as well as an en-suite shower room. Two further bedrooms mean the property can be enjoyed by up to six guests and is ideal for those wanting to experience the country lifestyle in a traditional thatched cottage. Easily accessible just 15 minutes’ drive from the A1, yet tucked away in the countryside village of Wing (which boasts a highly recommended pub/restaurant) means it is a great cottage to just relax in or even use as a base to explore the area from. Wing Hall is a few minutes walk away, where there is a well stocked farm shop that sells local produce, as well as beer, wine and everything guests might need for a barbecue. There is also a café and bikes are available to hire. Shop 3 miles, pub and restaurant 200 yards.£141Price per night from
- EnglandSet in the heart of Rutland, in the pretty village of Cottesmore, this detached Grade II listed, thatched property is the ideal getaway for families and friends to get together. The cottage has a lovely outlook to the village church and a short stumbling distance to the local pub. Rutland Water is only 5 miles away, and is a great day out for everyone; for the adrenaline seekers, have a go at sailing, canoeing, windsurfing, golf, mini golf and rock climbing. Or for the more sedate, there are many walks, great places for fishing, or spotting the local birds from the bird watching centre.
The market towns of Oakham, Uppingham and Stamford are close by and they all have a range of shops, pubs, tea rooms and restaurants. There is so much more to discover with lots of castles and stately homes in the area, including Burghley House, which is famous for its international horse trials, 14 miles away. Belton House, 19 miles; Belvoir Castle, 23 miles; Rockingham Castle, 16 miles; Grimsthorpe Castle, 17 miles and Elton Hall 21 miles away. A little further afield is Althorpe House, Princess Diana’s resting place, as well as Boughton House and Cottesbrooke Hall. Shop 70 yards, pub 200 yards and restaurant 2 miles.£141Price per night from
- EnglandFairchilds Holiday Lets consists of Fairchild’s Barn and Big Drift Barn, two stunning semi-detached barns conversions situated on the edge of the beautiful county of Rutland, England’s smallest county. Set over two floors, each house enjoys views over the pretty countryside, with bi-fold doors opening onto the properties’ own private gardens with seating to enjoy al fresco dining during the warmer months or a couple of drinks after a day out and about, and a private hot tub. The open plan living space makes these properties perfect for social gatherings and celebrations with friends and family, and both houses feature a focal wood burner making the rooms warm and cosy. Having bedrooms with bathroom facilities on the ground floor, these properties cater for less mobile guests. You can enjoy the private hot tub with stunning views of the rolling hills of Rutland. The houses are situated on the owners’ crop farm. The grounds back onto the owners’ woodland where you can enjoy a campfire, or even camp overnight, if you want a different experience during your stay (on request with the owners).
The village of Caldecott is approximately ¼ mile away and borders Leicestershire, Northamptonshire and the Eyebrook Reservoir, where you can enjoy fishing (rod licence required). There is an abundance of pretty villages close by, many of them with local pubs serving great food. Rockingham village is 1½ miles away, where you can visit Rockingham Castle which has over 800 years of history. The castle holds many events throughout the year including Christmas fairs and an open air cinema. Kirby Hall is also close by which is a National Trust site and is an Elizabethan mansion with peacocks in the extensive gardens. Two miles away is the village of Lyddington which has an ancient Bede House, one of the former palaces of the Bishop of Lincoln. Rutland is perfect for walking, cycling and other outdoor pursuits due to the many footpaths, bridle ways and beautiful countryside. Rutland Water, 8 miles away, offers many different water sport activities, as well as horse riding, golf, nature reserves and footpaths. There are other local historic homes worth visiting during your stay including Lyveden, Kirby House, Coton Manor Garden and Burghley House, where the annual horse trials are held in September. The market towns of Uppingham, 4 miles, and Oakham, 10 miles, offer high streets brimmed with popular and independent shops, a choice of cafés, restaurants, bars, pubs and galleries. Other local towns worth a visit are Stamford, 14 miles, regarded as one of the finest stone towns in England, and Market Harborough, 12 miles. Also close by is Leicester Cathedral with the tomb of Richard III of England, as well as the National Space Centre. Althorp Estate, the Spencer family estate with Princess Diana’s island grave and museum, is also within range, as is Geoff Hamilton’s Barnsdale Gardens. The towns of Corby and Kettering in Northamptonshire are close by, as is the city of Leicester. Shops 1½ miles, pub and restaurant ½ mile.
Fairchild’s Barn and Big Drift Barn can be booked together to accommodate up to 16 guests.£542Price per night from
- Oakham, EnglandSingle-storey, log-cabin resting near the Rutland Water Nature Reserve, on the fringes of Greetham village. Hot tub. Off-road parking. Pet-friendly.£76Price per night from
- Oakham, EnglandRural retreat in the county of Rutland, three miles from the town of Oakham. Single-storey. Open-plan. En-suite. Near Rutland Water.£87Price per night from
- Oakham, EnglandHigh-quality detached lretreat set three miles from Oakham in Rutland. Open-plan living area. En-suite. Rural location. Near Rutland Water Nature Reserve.£83Price per night from
- Oakham, EnglandContemporary retreat close to the East Midlands town of Oakham. Open-plan living area. En-suite master bedroom. Dog-friendly. Near Rutland Water.£82Price per night from
- Oakham, EnglandThis fabulous, detached retreat comes three miles from the town of Oakham in Rutland, East Midlands. Modern décor. En-suite master room. Open-plan living room.£85Price per night from
- Oakham, EnglandA contemporary wooden retreat sat three miles from Oakham, Rutland. Open-plan. Pet-friendly. WiFi. Near Rutland Water.£85Price per night from