With varied landscapes featuring rolling hills, rivers, canals, and endless footpaths through fields and forests, Shropshire is a wonderful place for an adventurous dog-friendly escape. Whether you opt to explore the idyllic countryside, or uncover the heritage of the various medieval market towns, you and your pooch are sure to have a trip to remember.
- Chelmarsh, EnglandBeing at the heart of Shropshire, these beautiful holiday properties are set in the perfect location for a country retreat, and they enjoy wonderful views of Chelmarsh Reservoir. The Rookery (ref RGGQ) is an exceptional property designed specifically for holiday breaks, with its well-planned rooms and beautiful open views. All bedrooms are en-suite, and there is a large dining area and living room, as well as a separate gaming room to entertain. Kingfisher Cottage (ref RNN3) occupies an outstanding position overlooking the Severn Valley. The large family kitchen with glazed dining area overlooks the garden and outside patio area, whilst the spacious comfortable living room offers a wood-burning stove for cosy evenings in. The property has the added benefit of a ground floor en-suite bedroom, as well as five further en-suite bedrooms on the first floor. The gardens and barbecue area provide wonderful waterside views. They are very much geared for family groups and celebratory gatherings. Surrounded by the owners’ farmland, with footpaths, bridleways and cycle routes from the doorstep, these properties are the perfect country retreat. Another popular pastime in the area is fishing, which is available for guests of the cottages on Chelmarsh Reservoir and also on the River Severn (day permits can be purchased from local fishing tackle shops). Ideally located near to the historic town of Bridgnorth and the Severn Valley railway, with RAF Cosford a short drive away, the cottages make an ideal base for touring. The Ironbridge Gorge Museum and the hills of the Long Mynd and Wenlock Edge are about 10 miles away, whilst there are many interesting walks from the door as well as numerous picturesque villages waiting to be explored. Further afield a great place for a day trip is the West Midlands Safari Park. Shops 3 miles, pub and restaurant ½ mile.£392From price per night based on 7 night stay
- Shrewsbury, EnglandLittle Whitley is the former staff quarters to the main house, which started life in the 1600s, and has since been sympathetically restored into a stunning self-catering holiday property for up to four guests. The cottage lies within a private 200-acre family-run farm and boasts its own enclosed orchard and courtyard. The orchard leads on to a footpath which, in one direction, takes you to the village of Hookagate with a pub that welcomes dogs and is popular for food, and a regular bus service to Shrewsbury. In the other direction the footpath leads to Hanwood, also with a village pub and local shop. Whitley provides the perfect destination for couples, families and anyone looking for a relaxing rural retreat.
An open plan downstairs living area combines kitchen, dining and sitting room. Everything about this delightful space syndicates a rural, rustic elegance. The large wood burner creates a cosy feeling in the light, open space, without compromising on modern comforts with underfloor heating, Smart TV, Wi-Fi, and a well-equipped kitchen for those choosing to dine in on occasions. Conveniently next door is the first of the two bedrooms with a kingsize bed, lovely sky light allowing in lots of natural light and an en-suite presenting a wonderful double shower. There is also direct access to the garden from this bedroom. Upstairs the master bedroom has that real wow factor, framed by the original beams with a beautiful superking bed and a vanity area to enjoy, a unique window where you can see the sunset out across the farm. The en-suite also boasts luxury with double sinks, and a stunning freestanding bath and a double shower. Outside, there is a beautiful walled orchard garden, enclosed for you to let your pooch roam around, and or the children play to their hearts content, with table and chairs, perfect for al fresco dining. Whitley’s elevated position enables views of the Shropshire Hills, the Welsh Hills and Shrewsbury Town.
Dogs are more than welcome at Whitley and there is so much to explore with them in the local area, fantastic walks along the river or across Lyth Hill, or 15 minutes in the car will take you in to the Shropshire hills. Although the property is rural, you’ll be pleased to learn that Shrewsbury is only 10 minutes away by car or an easy bus journey. Set on the banks of the River Severn, Shrewsbury is one of the country’s most picturesque medieval towns. Dotted with flowers and parks, and renowned for the historic Shrewsbury Abbey and Castle, this bustling town is home to a lively independent shopping scene, restaurants, bars and some unforgettable days out. Ludlow is a thriving medieval market town in Shropshire and an architectural gem with a lively community feel, busy with events and festivals throughout the year and just under an hour away. From taking a stroll around the beautiful gardens to exploring the nearby countryside, even just sitting back relaxing and taking in the tranquillity of the cottage and its grounds, Little Whitley promises an idyllic holiday retreat.
Can be booked together with Whitley Burrow UK43594 to accommodate up to 6 guests.£90From price per night based on 7 night stay
- Clee Saint Margaret, EnglandAn ’away from it all’ commoner’s stone cottage on a 200-acre farm and on the edge of a 560-acre common with walks straight from the door in an AONB with outstanding views. It has a studio in the garden and a large dog pen. Tastefully renovated with exposed oak beams and old flagstone floors, this detached holiday cottage is reached by a stone track, across moorland and within easy driving distance of Ludlow, Ironbridge Gorge, Hereford, Shrewsbury, Worcester, and more. Shops, pubs and restaurants 6 miles.£64From price per night based on 7 night stay
- Ellesmere, EnglandIn a quiet location just 2½ miles from Ellesmere, this beautiful, detached, converted barn has been lovingly furnished to a impeccable standard with its own private, south facing garden and patio to the rear. The property is decorated with a Christmas theme during the festive season. Adjacent to the owner’s home, it is ideally placed for exploring the counties of Shropshire, Cheshire, mid and north Wales, and is surrounded by popular tourist destinations and attractions, such as Llangollen with its horse drawn canal barges, steam railway, white water rafting centre, Erddig and Chirk Castle, Powys Castle and Attingham Park. Chester racecourse and the medieval towns of Shrewsbury, Ludlow and Bridgnorth are an easy drive, not forgetting Ironbridge, a World Heritage Site. For the more active, go karting, paintballing and canoeing are all available nearby. Shop 1 mile, pub and restaurant 2½ miles.£72From price per night based on 7 night stay
- Bishop's Castle, England
Attractive, detached cottage in the picturesque Norbury village. Quality, well equipped and comfortable accommodation with woodburner. WiFi. Excellent walking and cycling. Bishop's Castle 4.7 miles.£86From price per night based on 7 night stay
- Oswestry, EnglandOccupying a central position in north Shropshire, Rose Barn is a semi-detached barn conversion set in well tended grounds and gardens offering a quiet and relaxing holiday home, with a paddock available for exercising dogs.The cottage is just a few miles out of Ellesmere, best known for its picturesque lakes and Shropshire Union Canal, and with a good choice of shops and bars. It is literally on the borders with neighbouring Cheshire and Wales, and with medieval Shrewsbury, Whitchurch, Wem and the old market town of Oswestry, all within a 30 minutes’ drive. The area has so much to offer guests of all ages and for those who enjoy outdoor activities, there are tandem sky dives, static line parachute jumps near to Whitchurch, hovercraft and Segway experiences near to Oswestry, and Rednal offers paintballing and go karting. Hawkstone Park Follies is great for a leisurely stroll and has events throughout the year, from medieval shows and jousting to 4 x 4 off road experiences. Wood Lane Nature Reserve is an ideal place for bird-watching and you can visit Shropshire Wildlife Trust at the Boathouse, where you can find out about walking in the area. Hill Valley Golf Club is nearby and there are four National Trust properties within an hour’s drive, including Powys Castle, Chirk Castle, Erddig, and Attingham Park. Shop 2½ miles, pub and restaurant 500 yards.£146From price per night based on 7 night stay
- Craven Arms, EnglandCharming 19th century barn conversion in 250 acres of farmland situated in Hope Valley on the edge of Westhope with character features, hot tub and en-suite facilities. Church Stretton 6 miles.£81From price per night based on 7 night stay