- Bishop's Castle, England
In one of the most charming and unspoilt market towns in England, dog-friendly The Castle Hotel in Shropshire enjoys a breathtaking situation in the valleys and uplands of Shropshire Hills and the Welsh border and is an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.£100Price per night from
- South Side, EnglandThis well-appointed detached barn conversion is situated in a quiet hamlet, midway between Bridgnorth and Ludlow, two of Shropshire’s most well-known and loved historic towns. The interior of The Barn has been thoughtfully designed with beautiful stone floors and a cosy woodburner, and outside there is a private hot tub. Set in a convenient location, it is within walking distance of the locally run pub, and a short drive away from the visitor attractions of Ludlow with its castle and racecourse, Bridgnorth, Ironbridge and Much Wenlock. Also worth visiting are the River Severn, famous for its tidal bore, the River Teme and the Severn Valley Railway. Other local attractions include Rays Farm, the inland funicular railway and Daniels Mill. This is an ideal touring base for people wishing to explore Shropshire and Herefordshire, as well as the mid Wales borderlands. Shop 2 miles, pub and restaurant 300 yards.£70Price per night from
- Shrewsbury, EnglandLittle Whitley is the former staff quarters to the main house, which started life in the 1600s, and has since been sympathetically restored into a stunning self-catering holiday property for up to four guests. The cottage lies within a private 200-acre family-run farm and boasts its own enclosed orchard and courtyard. The orchard leads on to a footpath which, in one direction, takes you to the village of Hookagate with a pub that welcomes dogs and is popular for food, and a regular bus service to Shrewsbury. In the other direction the footpath leads to Hanwood, also with a village pub and local shop. Whitley provides the perfect destination for couples, families and anyone looking for a relaxing rural retreat.
An open plan downstairs living area combines kitchen, dining and sitting room. Everything about this delightful space syndicates a rural, rustic elegance. The large wood burner creates a cosy feeling in the light, open space, without compromising on modern comforts with underfloor heating, Smart TV, Wi-Fi, and a well-equipped kitchen for those choosing to dine in on occasions. Conveniently next door is the first of the two bedrooms with a kingsize bed, lovely sky light allowing in lots of natural light and an en-suite presenting a wonderful double shower. There is also direct access to the garden from this bedroom. Upstairs the master bedroom has that real wow factor, framed by the original beams with a beautiful superking bed and a vanity area to enjoy, a unique window where you can see the sunset out across the farm. The en-suite also boasts luxury with double sinks, and a stunning freestanding bath and a double shower. Outside, there is a beautiful walled orchard garden, enclosed for you to let your pooch roam around, and or the children play to their hearts content, with table and chairs, perfect for al fresco dining. Whitley’s elevated position enables views of the Shropshire Hills, the Welsh Hills and Shrewsbury Town.
Dogs are more than welcome at Whitley and there is so much to explore with them in the local area, fantastic walks along the river or across Lyth Hill, or 15 minutes in the car will take you in to the Shropshire hills. Although the property is rural, you’ll be pleased to learn that Shrewsbury is only 10 minutes away by car or an easy bus journey. Set on the banks of the River Severn, Shrewsbury is one of the country’s most picturesque medieval towns. Dotted with flowers and parks, and renowned for the historic Shrewsbury Abbey and Castle, this bustling town is home to a lively independent shopping scene, restaurants, bars and some unforgettable days out. Ludlow is a thriving medieval market town in Shropshire and an architectural gem with a lively community feel, busy with events and festivals throughout the year and just under an hour away. From taking a stroll around the beautiful gardens to exploring the nearby countryside, even just sitting back relaxing and taking in the tranquillity of the cottage and its grounds, Little Whitley promises an idyllic holiday retreat.
Can be booked togetherwith Whitley Burrow UK43594 to accommodate up to 6 guests.£84Price per night from
- Chelmarsh, EnglandBeing at the heart of Shropshire, these beautiful holiday properties are set in the perfect location for a country retreat, and they enjoy wonderful views of Chelmarsh Reservoir. The Rookery (ref RGGQ) is an exceptional property designed specifically for holiday breaks, with its well-planned rooms and beautiful open views. All bedrooms are en-suite, and there is a large dining area and living room, as well as a separate gaming room to entertain. Kingfisher Cottage (ref RNN3) occupies an outstanding position overlooking the Severn Valley. The large family kitchen with glazed dining area overlooks the garden and outside patio area, whilst the spacious comfortable living room offers a wood-burning stove for cosy evenings in. The property has the added benefit of a ground floor en-suite bedroom, as well as five further en-suite bedrooms on the first floor. The gardens and barbecue area provide wonderful waterside views. They are very much geared for family groups and celebratory gatherings. Surrounded by the owners’ farmland, with footpaths, bridleways and cycle routes from the doorstep, these properties are the perfect country retreat. Another popular pastime in the area is fishing, which is available for guests of the cottages on Chelmarsh Reservoir and also on the River Severn (day permits can be purchased from local fishing tackle shops). Ideally located near to the historic town of Bridgnorth and the Severn Valley railway, with RAF Cosford a short drive away, the cottages make an ideal base for touring. The Ironbridge Gorge Museum and the hills of the Long Mynd and Wenlock Edge are about 10 miles away, whilst there are many interesting walks from the door as well as numerous picturesque villages waiting to be explored. Further afield a great place for a day trip is the West Midlands Safari Park. Shops 3 miles, pub and restaurant ½ mile.£934Price per night from
- Oswestry, EnglandOccupying a central position in north Shropshire, Rose Barn is a semi-detached barn conversion set in well tended grounds and gardens offering a quiet and relaxing holiday home, with a paddock available for exercising dogs.The cottage is just a few miles out of Ellesmere, best known for its picturesque lakes and Shropshire Union Canal, and with a good choice of shops and bars. It is literally on the borders with neighbouring Cheshire and Wales, and with medieval Shrewsbury, Whitchurch, Wem and the old market town of Oswestry, all within a 30 minutes’ drive. The area has so much to offer guests of all ages and for those who enjoy outdoor activities, there are tandem sky dives, static line parachute jumps near to Whitchurch, hovercraft and Segway experiences near to Oswestry, and Rednal offers paintballing and go karting. Hawkstone Park Follies is great for a leisurely stroll and has events throughout the year, from medieval shows and jousting to 4 x 4 off road experiences. Wood Lane Nature Reserve is an ideal place for bird-watching and you can visit Shropshire Wildlife Trust at the Boathouse, where you can find out about walking in the area. Hill Valley Golf Club is nearby and there are four National Trust properties within an hour’s drive, including Powys Castle, Chirk Castle, Erddig, and Attingham Park. Shop 2½ miles, pub and restaurant 500 yards.£146Price per night from
- Whitchurch, England
Perfectly picturesque, dog-friendly Cotton Cottage in Cheshire is set within the beautiful Combermere Abbey Estate.£125Price per night from
- Church Stretton, EnglandThis comfortable semi-detached period property retains many original features and includes a spacious living room with wood burner, two kingsize bedrooms and one double bedroom along with a large patio with outdoor furniture. A peaceful retreat the whole year round, cosy in winter but with plenty of private outdoor space for the summer months. On the ground floor is a comfortable living room with beams and ancient timber framing and a dining room with further period features and a generous extendable dining table as well as a modern well equipped kitchen. On the first floor there are three bedrooms, again with timber framing, two kingsize and one double. One of the kingsize beds can be converted to twin on request. The bathroom is fitted with a bath, toilet and over-bath shower. There’s an en-suite bathroom in the master bedroom with toilet and shower. A welcome pack is provided, including tea, coffee, fresh milk, bread, biscuits and your choice of either a bottle of red wine, white wine or Prosecco.
Set in the quiet village of Brockton, the property is surrounded by beautiful countryside, with a fine village pub serving delicious food only 150 yards away. Much Wenlock is just 5 miles and the foodie town of Ludlow 15 miles. Church Stretton and the Long Mynd are just 9 miles, Bridgnorth 9 miles and the county town of Shrewsbury 17 miles. 3 Brockton is an ideal base for exploring the glorious hills and historic towns of Shropshire but only 20 minutes from Ironbridge and the surrounding heritage museums. Horse racing and golf can be found at Ludlow, with a choice of pony trekking and horse riding nearby. A wealth of walking and cycling routes are aplenty throughout the local area. Shop 5 miles. Pub and restaurant 150 yards.£51Price per night from
- Whitchurch, England
Elegant and inviting, dog-friendly Empress Cottage in Cheshire is set within the Combermere Abbey Estate, a historic gem of the county.£160Price per night from
- Whitchurch, England
Spacious and versatile, dog-friendly Crossley Cottage in Cheshire is a historic gem of the county. Set within the Combermere Abbey Estate, on the border of Shropshire and Cheshire, it is surrounded by 1000 acres of stunning ancient parkland and woods – perfect exploration fodder for your pooch.£350Price per night from
- Whitchurch, England
A truly tranquil escape, dog-friendly Callander Cottage in Cheshire is set within the Combermere Abbey Estate, one of the county’s most historic gems on the border of Shropshire.£153Price per night from