Pet Friendly Holidays Lake District
Home to one of the most beautiful areas in Britain, The Lake District is one of the best places for a dog-friendly adventure in the great outdoors. There is an abundance of dog friendly holiday cottages for you to choose from. All you need to do is decide if you want a private hot tub, a cosy shepherd hut, or a contemporary property located near pet friendly pubs. Find a real hidden gem on our expert listings above
- Cumbria, EnglandFeaturing beams taken from shipwrecks on the Cumbrian Coast, this small group of holiday cottages at Birkerthwaite, a former 17th century Lakeland farmstead, lie at the end of an unmade track and are surrounded by tranquil moorland scenery and farmland. This is fantastic walking countryside and the elevated position gives views of Scafell and the Eskdale Valley, creating a unique atmosphere of tranquillity. Birkerthwaite Farmhouse (W43001) is a unique holiday property dating back to 1627 and has many original features, beamed ceilings, flagged floors and unusual oak wall cupboards built in the 1700’s. Comfortably furnished and with the benefit of an open fire and an Aga, the farmhouse is cosy and welcoming. Birkerthwaite Stable (W41477) is a single-storey converted stable with rustic charm heated by a log-burning stove. Birkerthwaite Barn (W41478) has a spacious kitchen/dining room, a galleried landing and a four poster bed. Birkerthwaite Cottage (W41479) has an upstairs open plan living area with wooden floors which opens onto a balcony overlooking gardens. Nearby attractions include Muncaster Castle and Hardknott Roman Fort, whilst the Langdale Pikes and Ambleside on the northern shores of Lake Windermere can be reached via a stunning drive over the Hard Knott and Wrynose Passes. A short drive away is Wast Water; to the west are sandy beaches. Alternatively take the steam train from Ravenglass. Shop 3 miles, pub 2½ miles.£76Price per night from
- Pooley Bridge, EnglandBarton Hall Farm can be found just outside Pooley Bridge, the village at the outfall of Lake Ullswater. Set in the countryside on a traditional working farm, this area offers some of the most wonderful landscapes in the region from the privacy of a secluded rural setting. It is minutes from Lake Ullswater, with its walking, water sports and ponderous steamers making their regal-like journeys up and down the lake in the shadow of the majestic fells. This area offers many forms of recreation, whatever season you choose to visit. All three cottages have been tastefully converted from original old stone farm buildings; and wherever possible the original features have been retained. Old pitch pine beams stretch unhindered through bedrooms and across stairways and the local slate and sandstone are in evidence throughout. Guests are welcomed with fresh flowers, along with well furnished comfortable holiday accommodation, wood-burning stoves and well-equipped kitchens. For good walking, fells nearby include High Street range, 1 mile, and Helvellyn, 10 miles. The market town of Penrith, 5 miles; whilst the attractions of Keswick are 14 miles. Shops, pubs and restaurants ½ mile.£68Price per night from
- Bakewell, England
Dog-friendly Robin Hood cottage is a delightful self-catering cottage that is on the Robin Hood Farm in the Peak District surrounded by fabulous moors and woodland.£200Price per night from
- Ulverston, EnglandA superb terraced cottage with beams, stone flagged floors and woodburning stove in Ulverston. Within walking distance to shops and restaurants. Lake Windermere 12 miles.£51Price per night from
- Ambleside, EnglandSet in 18 acres of beautiful natural grounds and woodland, this charming wooden holiday lodge has its own private garden along with shared use of an indoor heated plunge pool, sauna, Jacuzzi and table tennis table. Extended and refurbished in 2021, there is a double bedroom, a twin bedroom, a new kitchen, and a large veranda with seating and an external heater.
Right on the doorstep of the magnificent Langdales, 2½ miles from Ambleside and 8 miles from Coniston. It is a perfect base for touring and exploring the footpaths in the area with numerous woodland and hill walks straight from the door. Great for wildlife lovers, with deer and other animals freely wandering through this small, select woodland retreat. The Lake District Visitor Centre near Windermere is worth a visit (activities include high ropes, horse riding etc), as is the nearby water sports centre on Windermere. Pub and restaurant ¼ mile.£68Price per night from
- Grange-over-Sands, EnglandThis quaint barn conversion is located just off the main street in the popular Cumbrian town of Flookburgh. This beautiful property is the perfect choice for couples looking for a good value stay in a great location. It offers modern, open-plan living and is ideal if you’re looking for a quiet retreat in which to relax, unwind and explore the sights and sounds of the South Cumbrian Coast.
Flookburgh offers the best of both worlds, with easy access to Humphrey Head, a popular tourist spot for beach lovers (2 miles), and right on the border of the Lake District National Park. There are walks, cycling routes, local pubs, great shopping and stunning scenery. Sleeping two, Hillrise Barn has a kingisze bedroom on the first floor with an exceptional Simba mattress for a great night’s sleep. The bedroom offers plenty of storage and a Smart TV. Downstairs, the bright, open-plan living space provides easy seating, a large Smart TV and a comfortable environment in which to relax after a day of exploring. The kitchen is well-equipped and offers everything you need to prepare a hearty breakfast before a day of adventure. There’s a small outside space complete with seating to soak up the afternoon sun with a nice glass of wine or to enjoy a morning coffee.
Flookburgh has its own train station and good connections to the mainline. It’s a short drive from both Grange-over-Sands and Cartmel, and is only about 7 miles from the southern tip of Lake Windermere, providing easy access to the higher fells. There are a couple of excellent pubs in the village offering a range of local ales, great pub food and a welcoming atmosphere.
Grange-over-Sands and the surrounding districts are a delightful area of the south Lakes, offering an interesting selection of historic seaside resorts and quaint rural villages. Grange-over-Sands is an elegant town, with a long, sweeping promenade fronting the bay, lined with antique and collectors’ shops, and cafés. Cartmel, famous for its Priory and race meetings, is well worth a visit, if only to sample the local sticky toffee pudding. For a great day out, take a ride on The Lakeside and Haverthwaite Steam Railway which connects directly to The Windermere Lake Cruises at Lakeside, offering a delightful sailing trip to Ambleside and Bowness-on Windermere on England’s longest lake.£45Price per night from
- Ulverston, EnglandCharming semi-detached cottage nestled in Satterthwaite, close to Grizedale Forest. Relaxing rooms. Wood burning stove. WiFi. Spacious gardens. Off road parking. Hawkshead 4 miles.£96Price per night from
- Appleby-in-Westmorland, EnglandBeautiful stone-built cottage resting in an enviable location with stunning views across rolling countryside, 6 miles south of Appleby-in-Westmorland. Pet-friendly. WiFi. Shop and pub 4 miles£79Price per night from
- Grange-Over-Sands, EnglandThis beautiful detached property is located in the South Lakeland village of Cartmel. Extensive walled garden. Pet-friendly. WiFi. Grange-over-Sands 2.3 miles; Windermere 14 miles.£181Price per night from
- Kirkby Stephen, EnglandA character cottage based in the heart of the small town of Brough. Ideal for families or couples. Patio/garden. Kirkby Stephen 4.3 miles.£52Price per night from