Dog-Friendly Scottish Highlands
With stunning landscapes, majestic mountains and historic wonders, The Scottish Highlands is a truly magnificent place to visit. Whether you're looking for a cosy cottage or luxury hotel, there's a brilliant choice of dog-friendly accommodation and outdoor space for you and your pup to enjoy.
- St Andrews, ScotlandGuests will find a real home from home in this warm and welcoming holiday cottage at any time of year. Inside this wing of the owners’ home and accessed by a steep gravel drive, the open plan living space is spacious and bright with cosy seating and a window seat offering panoramic views across the surrounding farm lands to St Andrews Bay, the Eden Estuary and St Andrews itself. The kitchen area with an Aga, as well as an electric cooker, is well-equipped and ideal for practising your cooking skills, or creating a special meal, with a dining table where everyone can sit together and plan the next day’s activities.
Lucklaw Steading dates back to the 18th century, former farm buildings which have been converted and renovated to a good standard; the cottage, which is all on one level, is a private wing of the main house. The Steading is set within 2 acres and there is much to explore on foot from your doorstep; woodland and hilltop walks will appeal to hikers, birdwatchers, and nature lovers alike. With all this fresh air, you will be looking forward to a good night’s sleep. Why not ease those tired limbs after a day out with a deep bubble bath, as well as the option of a shower in the four piece bathroom. The utility and boot room is shared with the owners and houses the washing machine and tumble dryer.
Ideally located for exploring this area of Fife, St Andrews can be reached within a 15-minute drive, making Lucklaw Steading Cottage perfect for if you are visiting students at the university or attending a graduation ceremony. As well as the spectacular castle and cathedral ruins, sandy beaches and pretty harbour, there is much to explore in this historic city, with galleries, cinema, quality places to eat and local and independent shops. St Andrews is renowned worldwide as the home of golf, with seven courses under the management of the St Andrews Links Trust, and there are many local courses within easy driving distance for guests wanting to enjoy golf in the area.
The traditional market town of Cupar, which sits on the banks of the River Eden, has much to offer and is fascinating to walk around, with plenty of places to eat, and a particularly good selection of independent shops. For families the area also has the Scottish Deer Centre, an aquarium at St Andrews and award-winning sandy beaches and forest walks at Tentsmuir, just a short drive away. Across the Tay Bridge, Dundee has lots to offer for a day out, including the V&A with its dramatic waterfront setting and the historic ship ’Discovery’, and is well worth a visit. The Olympia Leisure Centre has a swimming pool, which is great for entertaining the kids on wet days. The East Neuk of Fife has spectacular coastline with picturesque fishing villages built around old harbours and unspoilt beaches. Following the coastal path offers a scenic walk with plenty of places to stop off and visit. Beach 9 miles. Shop 3½ miles, pub and restaurant 4 miles.£97From price per night based on 7 night stay
- Nigg, ScotlandSet in a quiet rural location, this cosy holiday cottage enjoys lovely views across open countryside towards Nigg Bay and the Cromarty Firth. An RSPB Reserve, sea trips, fishing, golf, castles and south, west and east facing beaches all within easy reach. Great for touring the scenic Highlands. Historic Cromarty is a short ferry trip (only available in summer, also accessible by road) with Inverness, the Highland Capital approx 45 minutes’ drive. Shops 4½ miles, pubs 3 miles. Can be booked with property 19987 (which has adjoining garden) to sleep up to 12 guests.£79From price per night based on 7 night stay
- Fort Augustus, ScotlandSet in the heart of Fort Augustus and looking out over the locks of the Caledonian Canal, these beautifully presented holiday apartments make the perfect base for enjoying the village amenities and also for exploring this lovely part of the Highlands. You can sit in the comfort of your living room and watch boats travel through the canal. This pretty village is situated at the southern end of Loch Ness and is close to the Great Glen Way. Lots to see and do for all ages – monster spotting on Loch Ness, boat trips, mountain biking, canoeing, hill walking to name but a few. Take a trip to Fort William, the ’Outdoor Capital of the UK’, or Inverness, the vibrant Highland Capital. A trip to the beautiful Isle of Skye with the dramatic scenery of the west coast should not be missed. Or just relax and watch the ever changing views over the village. Restaurant 40 yards, shop and pub 20 yards.£52From price per night based on 7 night stay
- Brora, ScotlandWelcome to Wilsons, your Coastal Retreat in Golspie Nestled in the heart of the picturesque seaside town of Golspie. Wilsons is a charming three-bedroom house that offers a perfect blend of modern comfort and traditional Scottish charm. Wilsons is the ideal vacation rental for families, friends, or couples seeking a tranquil getaway by the Scottish coast. Wilsons boasts three tastefully decorated bedrooms, ensuring a peaceful night’s sleep for up to six guests. Each room is thoughtfully furnished to provide a cosy and welcoming atmosphere. Prepare to be mesmerised by the stunning views of the sea from the comfort of your living room. Whether it’s sunrise or sunset, the ever-changing seascape provides a breathtaking backdrop to your stay. After a day of exploring Golspie and its surroundings, unwind in the spacious living area next to the wood burner. The crackling fire and soft ambiance create a perfect setting for relaxation and conversation.
Golspie offer a selection of shops, cafes, restaurants and bars. Take leisurely strolls along Golspie Beach, located just a short walk from Wilsons. Enjoy the sound of waves crashing against the shore and breathe in the fresh sea air. Explore the enchanting Dunrobin Castle, a historic mansion with stunning gardens. Discover its rich history, magnificent architecture, and enjoy falconry displays in the castle grounds. Golf enthusiasts can tee off at the Golspie Golf Course, renowned for its scenic views and challenging holes. It’s a golfer’s paradise with a backdrop of mountains and sea. Embark on a hike up Ben Bhraggie, a prominent hill overlooking Golspie. The panoramic views from the summit are truly spectacular and worth the effort.
Explore nearby whisky distilleries like Clynelish and Glenmorangie to sample some of Scotland’s finest single malt whiskies. Wilsons is perfectly situated along the North Coast 500 route, making it an excellent base for exploring the stunning Scottish Highlands and coastal scenery. Wilsons in Golspie offers a delightful retreat where you can immerse yourself in the natural beauty of the Scottish coast, enjoy a warm and welcoming home, and create unforgettable memories with your loved ones. Whether you’re seeking outdoor adventures, historical exploration, or simply a peaceful escape, Wilsons provides the perfect starting point for your Scottish Highland adventure. Beach 1 mile.£235From price per night based on 7 night stay
- Brora, ScotlandBeach Croft, located in the former fishing community in the village of Brora is a stunning self-catering holiday cottage that overlooks the mouth of the river Brora and sea.
Brora’s renowned James Braid golf course is just a few minutes away.
Beach Croft is at the heart of everything the Highlands has to offer; unspoilt wilderness, some of the finest golfing in Scotland and plenty of local attractions and activities to keep you busy.
Beach Croft is a modernised traditional fisherman’s cottage overlooking the mouth of the river Brora and the sea, perfect for watching the waves lapping onto the beach. On the ground floor is a comfy sitting room, a country kitchen/dining room with patio doors looking towards the beach, a cloakroom, and a handy utility. Upstairs there are two double bedrooms each with a super king bed (or can be two singles). The bedrooms have wardrobes and a dressing table. There is a newly fitted shower room with a walk-in shower enclosure.
The village of Brora is a stunning seaside village with beautiful beaches on either side of the mouth of the Brora river and has a range of unique shops to look around and plenty of food and drink options. Brora is full of history, find out why our nickname is “the Electric City” at the Brora Heritage Centre. Brora Golf Club is a must-see for Golfers, even if you’re not a golfer, head to the clubhouse for a coffee or pint and take in the astounding views. Don’t forget The Clynelish Distillery, warm yourself up with a whisky tasting and tour around the distillery.
Beach Croft is located by the sea and across the River Brora from the Brora Golf course and clubhouse, making it the perfect location for anyone interested in having a game of golf with a gorgeous view, or for the people happier to sit by the bar and enjoy from afar! Brora Golf Course is also located along the beautiful sandy beach, leading out to the Moray Firth. If there is something this property can guarantee, it is that you won’t find yourself struggling with ideas on how to make the most of your stay. Brora also features a variety of beautiful scenery and history just waiting for you to explore.£116From price per night based on 7 night stay
- Fort William, ScotlandSituated above Loch Linnhe with uninterrupted views over towards Corpach and Trislaig, you can watch the sea and golden eagles above from the decking of this pod, as well as the roe deer visiting you in the morning. Unlike other pods, Cheviot comes with a full-size shower, a wood burner, a kingsize bed, a sofa bed for two children and a kitchen with a mini fridge and freezer. This is the perfect spot to relax in and enjoy the area with many activities and attractions within driving distance.
The nearest pubs, restaurants and shops are within 1 mile from Cheviot pod. The train station (which is less than 2 miles will away) will take you on the Harry Potter Steam Train and over the Glenfinnan Viaduct, passing some of the most spectacular scenery and beaches that cannot be seen from the road down to Mallaig. The latter is renowned as a fishing village and also where you can get a ferry over to the Isle of Skye (remember to pre book the train as it fills up quickly).
Ben Nevis is the highest mountain in the UK and is one of the munros you can enjoy a walk up to the summit. The Nevis Range hosts the European Bike Trials.
South of Fort William you have Glencoe; no matter what time of year you travel through Glencoe it is a mystical land and will not fail to impress. Again, it offers great walks for all abilities and there is also a ski lift for those that enjoy the winter sport (in the summer the dry ski slope is open for tubing, a great fun day for all the family). If you are looking for something to do on a rest day in Fort William itself, there is a cinema, soft play, ten pin bowling, swimming pool or enjoy a walk over to Neptunes Staircase.
Using Cheviot pod as your base, you can also visit the Acharacle Peninsula; the fish capital of the Highlands, Oban; Loch Ness; the Isle of Mull, Rum and Eigg and many more.
Undoubtedly whilst sitting with a drink on the decking watching either the sunset or the Northern Lights, you will undoubtably be planning your next visit to this amazing area and pod.
These properties can be booked together to accommodate up to 8 guests.£68From price per night based on 7 night stay
- Drumnadrochit, Scotland
Lachlan Cottage is a lovely three bedroomed dog-friendly house situated in a lovely rural setting on top of a hill in the Highlands with wonderful mountain views near the charming village of Drumnadrochit.£146From price per night based on 7 night stay
- Newtonmore, ScotlandImpressive Victorian-styled villa in elevated location in stunning Cairngorms National Park. En-suites. Open fire. Very well equipped. Convenient yet secluded location with views. Kingussie 3 miles.£174From price per night based on 7 night stay