Dog-Friendly Scottish Highlands
With stunning landscapes, majestic mountains and historic wonders, The Scottish Highlands is a truly magnificent place to visit. Whether you're looking for a cosy cottage or luxury hotel, there's a brilliant choice of dog-friendly accommodation and outdoor space for you and your pup to enjoy.
- St Andrews, ScotlandSituated at the entrance to 400 acres of beautiful parkland on the Balbirnie Estate, The Gate House is a beautifully furnished and extremely cosy and comfortable cottage. Dating back to the 1800s, the cottage provides a contemporary home while still maintaining many of its original features. There is a quirky spiral staircase to the first floor double bedroom with its own relaxing seating area. On the ground floor, guests will find the living/dining room has an open fire, which is just the spot for spending a lazy afternoon on cooler days. There is also a good size kitchen with breakfast bar, family shower room and double bedroom with a king size bed.
From the front door you can take a stroll into the delightful conservation village of Markinch, rich in history and once the medieval capital of Fife. The village has a good selection of supermarkets, local independent quality shops, cafés, a deli, restaurants and pubs and the local butcher, whose award winning steak pies are well worth sampling. This semi-detached cottage is part of Balbirnie South Lodge which was built in 1861 and designed by the architect David Bryce. The gates were usually locked and visitors were required to ring the bell, still on one of the pillars today, to gain entrance to the estate. In 1837 John Balfour became master of the estate and in 1840 married Lady Georgine Campbell, (daughter of the Earl of Cawdor) and the inter-twining initials in the date stone is thought to represent this. The Balfour family continued to own Balbirnie House and the estate until 1969.
During the 18th and 19th century, the estate landscape was designed by Robert Robinson and Thomas White, who created one of the most significant collections of rhododendrons in the east of Scotland. There are around 200 varieties from India, China and the Himalayan provinces and when the plants are in bloom it is well worth seeing. The Gate House is ideal for guests attending a wedding or event at Balbirnie House as you are only a short walk to the hotel. The location is ideal for walkers and cyclists as the Balbirnie Estate has parkland to explore and the Lomond Hills Regional Park is only a short drive away. This is a brilliant choice for golfers with an 18-hole golf course on your doorstep and many local courses nearby, and St Andrews, the home of golf, with its championship courses is just 30 minutes’ drive away. The British Golf Museum is close to The Old Course and there is the only hickory golf course in the UK at Kingarrock. For days at the seaside, the sandy beaches of the East Neuk of Fife are within a short drive and the Fife Coastal Path takes you to secluded coves, little fishing villages and award winning sandy beaches with plenty of places to visit and find refreshments. Beach 6½ miles. Shop 500 yards, pub and restaurant 300 yards.£88From price per night based on 7 night stay
- St Andrews, ScotlandThe Roundel is set in a most fantastic rural location with uninterrupted views over the open rolling countryside of Fife. It is the perfect location for weekend celebrations or getaways for your whole family who can revel in the space, ambience and warmth of this remarkable holiday home. On the ground floor, the focal point of this semi-detached house is the living/dining room, which has three sets of patio doors leading to the garden. Its floor-to-ceiling windows take full advantage of the views. For younger members of the group, there is a special toy corner. Outside, there is ample space for everyone to enjoy, and the patio with garden furniture is great for al fresco dining.
There is much to do in the area, and guests are in an ideal location for exploring coastal Fife. In a small quiet hamlet, The Roundel provides a rural location with miles of sandy beach and dunes less than 6 miles away, and the bustling city of Dundee and historic St Andrews are both only 15 minutes away (6 miles) with activities for all ages and tastes. Just 10 minutes away lies the picturesque market town of Cupar, which is ideal for picking up supplies. For families there is the Scottish Deer Centre, St Andrews Aquarium, sandy beaches at Tentsmuir Forest and beach, as well as riding stables.
The historic city of St Andrews can be reached within a 15-minute drive, making The Roundel ideal for guests visiting friends and family who are based at St Andrews University or attending one of the graduation ceremonies. As a popular tourist location, St Andrews offers a great selection of quality cafés, bars and restaurants, excellent shopping as well as a sandy beach, harbour and many historic buildings. Renowned worldwide as the ‘Home of Golf’ and regularly playing host to the Open Championship, this is a golfers’ paradise with eight courses to suit all abilities, as well as the British Golf Museum.
Dundee has lots to offer for a day out, the Olympia Sports Centre has a swimming pool, great for keeping your childen entertained on wet days. A visit to RRS Discovery at the multi award-winning Discovery Point makes for a good day to see how Captain Scott and Ernest Shackleton made their epic journeys. Falkland Palace and its garden are well worth a visit - this is one of Scotland’s finest Renaissance palaces and is steeped in history. Fans of the TV series ‘Outlander’ will recognise the location which was used as 1940s Inverness, and there are many more locations in the area that were used in the series. Beach 6 miles. Shop and restaurant 2 miles, pub ½ mile.£112From price per night based on 7 night stay
- St Andrews, ScotlandGuests will find a real home from home in this warm and welcoming holiday cottage at any time of year. Inside this wing of the owners’ home and accessed by a steep gravel drive, the open plan living space is spacious and bright with cosy seating and a window seat offering panoramic views across the surrounding farm lands to St Andrews Bay, the Eden Estuary and St Andrews itself. The kitchen area with an Aga, as well as an electric cooker, is well-equipped and ideal for practising your cooking skills, or creating a special meal, with a dining table where everyone can sit together and plan the next day’s activities.
Lucklaw Steading dates back to the 18th century, former farm buildings which have been converted and renovated to a good standard; the cottage, which is all on one level, is a private wing of the main house. The Steading is set within 2 acres and there is much to explore on foot from your doorstep; woodland and hilltop walks will appeal to hikers, birdwatchers, and nature lovers alike. With all this fresh air, you will be looking forward to a good night’s sleep. Why not ease those tired limbs after a day out with a deep bubble bath, as well as the option of a shower in the four piece bathroom. The utility and boot room is shared with the owners and houses the washing machine and tumble dryer.
Ideally located for exploring this area of Fife, St Andrews can be reached within a 15-minute drive, making Lucklaw Steading Cottage perfect for if you are visiting students at the university or attending a graduation ceremony. As well as the spectacular castle and cathedral ruins, sandy beaches and pretty harbour, there is much to explore in this historic city, with galleries, cinema, quality places to eat and local and independent shops. St Andrews is renowned worldwide as the home of golf, with seven courses under the management of the St Andrews Links Trust, and there are many local courses within easy driving distance for guests wanting to enjoy golf in the area.
The traditional market town of Cupar, which sits on the banks of the River Eden, has much to offer and is fascinating to walk around, with plenty of places to eat, and a particularly good selection of independent shops. For families the area also has the Scottish Deer Centre, an aquarium at St Andrews and award-winning sandy beaches and forest walks at Tentsmuir, just a short drive away. Across the Tay Bridge, Dundee has lots to offer for a day out, including the V&A with its dramatic waterfront setting and the historic ship ’Discovery’, and is well worth a visit. The Olympia Leisure Centre has a swimming pool, which is great for entertaining the kids on wet days. The East Neuk of Fife has spectacular coastline with picturesque fishing villages built around old harbours and unspoilt beaches. Following the coastal path offers a scenic walk with plenty of places to stop off and visit. Beach 9 miles. Shop 3½ miles, pub and restaurant 4 miles.£97From price per night based on 7 night stay
- St Andrews, ScotlandWest cottage is situated just outside the village of Freuchie between the historic county town of Cupar and a larger new town of Glenrothes.
This charming ‘home away from home’ is the ideal base to explore the wonders of the beautiful Kingdom of Fife. This 3-bedroom cottage is ideal for families, couples and small groups and will sleep 6 people comfortably across 3 double bedrooms. The master bedroom has an en-suite shower room and there is a family bathroom off the main hall serving the rest of the property. The spacious living space includes a living/dining room and a second garden living room with a sunny western position. The kitchen is equipped with modern appliances and everything you’ll need for the few meals you’ll likely be preparing due to the number of fabulous restaurants, pubs and cafes nearby. There is parking for 3 cars and a lovely garden area outside.
The space outside is a wonderful spot to enjoy the world going by, the view and a flavour of the peace and quiet that only such tranquil areas can offer. Situated not far from the main North/South arterial motorway, the M90, West Cottage is exceptionally well located, allowing relatively easy access to county’s many attractions. Glasgow to the west will take just over an hour, Edinburgh and Dundee will take less than an hour as will the famous St Andrews with one of the UK’s finest beaches and of course the Home of Golf.£91From price per night based on 7 night stay
- St Andrews, ScotlandSouthview Cottage is set right in the middle of a traditional working farm. A dream holiday for young families who would love to say good morning to the cows and maybe enjoy being part of a lambing experience. The farm boasts an unobstructed elevated positions commanding panoramic views and perfect for those seeking peace and quiet, give or take the odd tractor. Surrounded by stunning countryside and yet only 5 minute drive to the bustling town of Cupar, this lovely family friendly cottage has so much to offer. Recently refurbished throughout this property has a lovely sun room on entry, a fantastic spacious lounge with a wood burner complete with fire guard. Along the hall you will find three very good sized bedrooms all looking out on to the fields. There is a newly installed bathroom, complete with bath and shower cubicle. At the other end of the house there is a traditional farm kitchen, fully equipped and a perfect dining area to enjoy family meals or any special occasions. As soon as you enter the house you feel warm and welcomed. With so much to see and do in the area, Southview Cottage is the perfect base.
Close by you will find Hill of Tarvit Mansion and Gardens, The Scottish Deer Centre, and St Andrews the beautiful historic town where you will be spoilt for choice for eating out and shopping, or playing on one of the world’s most famous golf course is a mere 15 minute drive away. Explore the many picturesque fishing villages dotted along the East Neuk of Fife coast. Visit the popular annual arts and crafts festival held in the quaint village of Pittenween. Southview Cottage is great for families, couples and group of friends looking to get away. **Please note children must be supervised at all times as this is a working farm with livestock, farm machinery and tractors.*** DOGS - You may bring a very well-behaved dog but it must be kept on the lead at all times as there are livestock in the fields and on the farm.£72From price per night based on 7 night stay
- St Andrews, ScotlandKinness Lodge sits in the grounds of the luxurious 4* Hotel in St Andrews. Here you can unwind in this beautiful private lodge, designed for up to eight guests. Enjoy the relaxed, social spaces including a large lounge with balcony views of the gardens and babbling Kinness Burn. Avail yourself in the mouth-watering restaurant menus at mealtimes across in the hotel or manage your own appetites and eat in the fully equipped dining kitchen.
This modern and spacious lodge comes with four large en-suite bedrooms. There is also plenty of storage for golf clubs or bikes, making it the perfect base to explore all that St Andrews has to offer. Stroll over to the hotel bar for a evening drink or meal. Minutes from the centre of St Andrews and some of the world’s most famous golf courses, University and a whole selection of shops, coffee shops and history.
Kinness Lodge can be booked together with Burnside West (UK39596) and Burnside East Cottage (UK39597) to accommodate up to 16 guests.£146From price per night based on 7 night stay
- St Andrews, ScotlandFieldview is a fantastic large country house, set on a hillside with stunning views of the Lomond hills. One of three luxury holiday homes all set within a very large beautiful, shared garden but with its own lovely patio area perfect for eating al fresco. Only 40 minutes’ drive from Edinburgh and in a central location in Fife, Fieldview really is perfect base for exploring many Scottish tourist attractions. The house has an impressive spacious open plan living/dining area ideal for large family gatherings or groups of friends getting together, the wood burner will keep you warm and cosy on a cold day. There is a fully equipped kitchen with large marble cooking island with integrated appliances including warming drawer and dishwasher, the dining table seats eight and there are a couple of bar stools at the end of the cooking island perfect for keeping the chef company, this is a great social space. Enjoy eating out on the private patio directly in front of the living area. As you walk through the open living room you step down towards the end of the property where you will find a lovely comfortable double bedroom with a large bathroom opposite. Head up the bright and open staircase to the first floor where you will find three more bedrooms and another bathroom. All the rooms are bright and spacious with top quality mattresses and bedding. One of the bedrooms has a kingsize bed that gives you the option to convert into a twin, the twin room has lovely views over the garden and the far-reaching Lomond hills beyond, the fourth bedroom has three single beds with one of them offering an extra pull-out bed, sleeping four guests in total, perfect for children, teenagers, or a group of friends. There is a large grassy area which is ideal for football, badminton or cricket, along with a small summer house to sit in on a cool day and shared barbecue for the warmer weather.
Auchtermuchty is a quiet village surrounded by beautiful countryside and has lots of activities happening close by. Edinburgh is just 40 minutes away where you can explore this stunning historic city. Closer to home and 8 minutes away you will find the charming historic village of Falkland, where you may recognise some of the picturesque, cobbled streets featured in the TV hit series, Outlander. A visit to the palace and gardens is highly recommended along with beautiful leisurely walks around the Falkland Estate. The Scottish Deer Centre and Fife Zoo are also within a short 10-minute drive. Beach 17 miles.
Fieldview can be booked together with Orchard House (UK40946) and The Old Barn (UK40948) to accommodate up to 20 guests.£136From price per night based on 7 night stay
- St Andrews, ScotlandIf you are looking for a peaceful stay surrounded by beautiful countryside and close to the bustling, historic town of St Andrews and one of the most stunning coastlines in Fife, then look no further. This delightful lodge can be found in a small resort set in over 100 acres of beautifully landscaped grounds with woodland walks. Tucked away in Fife’s stunning countryside and yet just a 5-minute drive from St Andrews.
Comprising of two bedrooms accommodating four guests, a bright and spacious open-plan living area with a fully equipped modern kitchen. Decorated throughout to a very good standard along with quality furnishings and bedding.
St. Andrews may be known principally for its championship golf courses, but this charming and historic town is also a wonderful place for holidays. It has a lovely old-world atmosphere that comes from its university and medieval buildings. In amongst the cobbled streets and narrow alley ways of the medieval town centre are plenty of shops, cafés and restaurants. Discover St. Andrew’s Castle, cathedral, and adjacent Church of St. Regulus, and climb the steps in the tower for magnificent views over the town. This is a coastal town with access to a wide sandy beach where you can stroll in the sand or indulge in some seal spotting, which can often be seen off this coast. Whether you are looking to tee off, bask in the royal history or explore the local wildlife, St. Andrews is definitely the place for you. Also, part of Fife’s Coastal Path where you will find picturesque fishing villages dotted along the coast. The Scottish Secret Bunker, The Deer Centre and the charming village of Falkland with its Palace and Gardens can all be reached in under 30-minute drive. Beach 5 miles.£91From price per night based on 7 night stay
- St Andrews, ScotlandThis beautiful semi-detached, 19th-century farmhouse tastefully blends original features with contemporary style, offering space and comfort in a stunning rural setting. With wonderful views over the River Tay and rolling hills, this charming holiday cottage is on the edge of a steading conversion where ducks and geese swim on the old mill race. Newburgh village is a short stroll with shops, art gallery and dining pubs. Golf, fishing, cycling, motor racing and sky diving nearby. Visit Perth, 13 miles, St Andrews, 20 miles or just savour the peace. Within walking distance of the property is Lindores Abbey Distillery which offers tours. Shops and pubs ½ mile.£92From price per night based on 7 night stay
- St Andrews, ScotlandCastle Park is nestled in a residential area tucked away in the popular and charming village of Ceres. It is the ideal ’home away from home’, making it the perfect base to explore the beautiful Kingdom of Fife. Castle Park has been refurbished in 2023 to a high standard, offering three comfortable bedrooms, one double and two singles (6ft-3in long beds). The living room offers open plan dining, whilst the kitchen is well-equipped. There is a good size garden, perfect to sit out al fresco in the evening after a day of exploring.
Ceres is a peaceful village with quaint cottages, coffee shops, pub, restaurant, shop, butchers and a museum. Ceres is home to Scotland’s oldest Highland Games, which is on the last weekend in June every year. There are plenty of beautiful country walks right on your doorstep including Craighall Den, Pilgrim’s Way, and the Hill of Tarvit. Nearby attractions include The Scottish Deer Centre, Craigtoun Country Park, Barbarafield Riding School, Tentsmuir and Morton Lochs. Fife also has beautiful beaches along the coastline.
A visit to St Andrews, the home of golf is a must. St Andrews is a beautiful historic town full of vibrant shops, sandy beaches and places to eat, or why not visit the inspiring city of Dundee where you can visit the famous Victoria and Albert Museum. Dundee has so much to offer from great restaurants, art galleries, a cinema and plenty of shops, all within a 30-minute drive.
Letting Licence No. FI00053F£74From price per night based on 7 night stay