Pet Friendly Lodges Scottish Borders
From the rolling hills and charming countryside in the west to the gentle valleys and the beautiful Berwick coastline in the east, the Scottish Borders is one of the most fascinating areas of Scotland and the pawfect escape in one of our pet friendly lodges.
A scattering of inspiring abbeys, castles and cultural landmarks share the landscape with spectacular scenery, so there's plenty for you and your pup to explore on what is sure to be a memorable dog-friendly holiday.
- Kelso, ScotlandThis private and self-contained wing of a beautiful Victorian country house is ideal for family gatherings and parties. It is the perfect base for exploring Northumberland and the Scottish Borders with its fine beaches, historic buildings and stunning scenery. This bright southfacing house overlooks its own secluded garden complete with barbecue, garden furniture, badminton and a large private hot tub for relaxing in, or for family and friends to splash wildly in. Beyond Yetholm Loch lies against a back drop of green rounded hills. The surrounding parkland grazes horses and rare breed Soay sheep.
Inside, you can enjoy the comfort of soft sofas surrounded by period furniture and paintings, an impressive library of around 3000 books, a chest full of toys, two open fires, a well used family grand piano, Wi-Fi, satellite television and a DVD player. There’s a special place for everyone in this spacious house. The well-equipped kitchen has an electric range and a large dining table. Adding to the fun of staying at Lochside Garden House is the treehouse, reached by a rope bridge and descended by a spiral slide, designed for adventurous children and adults. An adjacent barn houses a shared snooker table and the lawns of Lochside House provide space for family fun with a swing.
The Yetholm Loch wildlife reserve can be reached along beautiful woodland walks and is home to many species of birds and animals. If you are lucky you may see an osprey swooping down to catch a fish or an otter playing in the sunshine. There is a family boat which guests are welcome to use for fishing or for the fun of rowing surrounded by wonderful scenery.
The village of Yetholm is a couple of miles away with pubs, garage, butcher, grocery store and post office. Kelso is only 7 miles away with supermarkets and a wide range of shops. Edinburgh and Alnwick with its famous gardens are about an hours drive. Shop, pub and restaurant 2½ miles.
Lochside Garden House can be booked together with Lockside Stable House (UPK) and Avenel Cottage (UK10920) to accommodate up to 29 guests.£131From price per night based on 7 night stay
- Eyemouth, ScotlandTucked away on the edge of the picture postcard village of Coldingham, Garden Cottage has lovely light, spacious living areas and a great bathroom with both a shower cubicle and a bath. This property is perfect for guests with younger children, as there is a cot and highchair available. There are gardens to both front and rear, and it is just a few minutes’ walk into the village where there is a priory, as well as local shops and a couple of cosy pubs serving food. You can also enjoy circular walks round the village. Sandy, sheltered Coldingham Bay, popular with surfers and divers, is 20 minutes’ walk, and Coldingham Loch offers fly fishing. St Abbs is a fishing harbour with a café/restaurant, and St Abbs Head National Nature Reserve is a coastal headland with breathtaking panoramic views and awesome cliffs where thousands of seabirds nest in the spring. You can enjoy amazing coastal walks, including a 30-mile route from Berwick-upon-Tweed to Cockburnspath, or take a boat trips from Seahouses to the Farne Islands, or from Berwick-upon-Tweed on the River Tweed out into the North Sea. Edinburgh is under an hour by train from Berwick, a fascinating Elizabethan walled town. There is a working harbour and golf in Eyemouth, historic houses and castles galore, fishing nearby, and plenty of crafts and galleries. Beach 1¼ miles. Shop, pub and restaurant ½ mile.£76From price per night based on 7 night stay
- Gordon, ScotlandThis spacious home is ideal for family and friends wishing to share a wonderful holiday or special occasion. Relax in the hot tub or try an invigorating swim in the Rapid River spa, also enjoy the large enclosed garden with swings, a sunken patio, fountain and waterfall. Have fun using the barbecue and lunch alfresco, and make use of the wine fridge in the kitchen. Play the grand piano in the living room with its open fire or take a walk in the 90-acre community woodland. Visit the village park with facilities for all ages. Experience the excellent local activities, golf, salmon and trout fishing, horse racing, riding and ice skating. The Southern Upland Way and St Cuthbert’s Way provide wonderful walking/riding, or explore the spectacular Berwickshire and Northumberland coast. Nearby, Kelso has cobbled streets and interesting local shops, restaurants and pubs. The ancient abbey, gracious town square and beautiful views along the River Tweed may be explored by following the town trail. Ideal for visiting the historic towns of Melrose, Jedburgh and Coldstream, while Edinburgh is only an hour by car. Home made meals, celebration dinners and housekeeping by arrangement. Shop ½ mile, pub 3 miles.£431From price per night based on 7 night stay
- Kelso, ScotlandThis beautiful Victorian country house, formerly stables and a groom’s flat, sits between its own large garden and the cobbled courtyard of Lochside House. Ideal for family gatherings and parties, it is also the perfect base for exploring Northumberland and the Scottish Borders with its fine beaches, historic buildings and stunning scenery. The large secluded garden and inner dog proof yard is complete with BBQ, firepit, garden furniture, badminton and a large hot tub for relaxing in, or for family and friends to splash wildly in. To the front there is a beautiful outlook over the SSSI Yetholm Loch wildlife reserve with a backdrop of green rounded hills. The surrounding parkland grazes horses and rare breed Soay sheep. Across the whole valley are extensive new native tree plantings along with other associated environmental works.
Inside, you can enjoy the comfort of soft sofas surrounded by period furniture and paintings, lots of books, an open fire, grand piano, Wi-Fi, television and a DVD player. There’s a special place for everyone in this spacious house. The well-equipped kitchen has an electric range and a large dining table. An adjacent barn houses a shared snooker table and darts. The lawns of Lochside House also have a shared trampoline and swing.
The Yetholm Loch wildlife reserve can be reached along beautiful woodland walks and is home to many species of birds and animals. If you are lucky, you may see an osprey swooping down to catch a fish or an otter playing in the sunshine. There is a family boat which guests are welcome to use for fishing, or for the fun of rowing surrounded by wonderful scenery. The village of Yetholm is a couple of miles away with pubs, garage, butcher, grocery store and post office. Kelso is only 7 miles away with supermarkets and a wide range of other shops. Edinburgh and Alnwick with its famous gardens are about an hours drive. Extensive hill walking and beautiful beaches within a thirty minute drive.
Lochside Stable House can be booked together with Lochside Garden House (S4484) and Avenel Cottage (UK10920) to accommodate up to 29 guests.£133From price per night based on 7 night stay
- Duns, ScotlandAlmost hidden in the heart of the Berwickshire countryside, this pretty detached stone holiday cottage is under half an hour’s drive from the glorious coastline around Berwick-on-Tweed, and 2½ miles from the market town of Duns. Stylishly furnished, the living room is the heart of the house, boasting an inglenook fireplace with a wood burner and oak mantle. The bright kitchen has a dining table for 4 and a door leading to the private patio. The bedrooms offer lovely crisp linen and toiletries. The cottage is just a short walk from the Whiteadder River, where fishing permits are available in Duns, and the quiet local roads around the cottage are great for walks or bike rides. Visit the nearby beautiful historic houses and gardens including Manderston and Paxton house, or the impressive castles at Bamburgh and Alnwick. The fascinating Holy Island, accessed from mainland by Lindisfarne Causeway, is well worth a visit. Edinburgh is just an hour away by train from Berwick-upon-Tweed. There is a golf course at Duns, and many more within the area, and there is a good choice of pubs and restaurants locally. Beach 15 miles. Shop, pub and restaurant 2½ miles.£80From price per night based on 7 night stay
- Kelso, ScotlandWith stunning views that the Borders is famous for, The Annex at Fernyrig is the idyllic retreat for a couple looking to enjoy some time together, or to explore the Scottish Borders and the north of England. Just a few hunderd yards north of the actual border on the River Tweed, this beautiful, semi-detached property, adjacent to the owner’s home, was completely updated and upgraded in late 2019 to a high standard, with great attention to detail. It now boasts features such as underfloor heated bamboo and ceramic tiled floors, cosy wood burner and a south west-facing garden to enjoy the views across the Tweed Valley to the Cheviots and beyond.
The living room has a wood burner for those colder evenings and while the TV is there, we’re convinced that you’ll spend more time looking out the windows. Also finished well is the kitchen with modern appliances and a spacious layout with a dining area. A door in the hall separates the bathroom and bedroom from the rest of the property. The main bathroom has underfloor heating and a luxury 4 piece suite with bath and separate walk-in double shower. The property sleeps two guests in a comfortable and well-proportioned double room, and has the ability to accommodate a further two guests on a double sofa bed in the living room. Well behaved pets are welcome in the property and outside there is a purpose built kennel if required as well as parking for 2 cars.
Surrounding villages and towns nearby include Birgham, Coldstream and Kelso, with the town of Berwick-upon-Tweed (BR main Newcastle/Edinburgh rail link) and coastal beaches some 17 miles to the east. Fishing can be arranged on the nearby River Tweed and during the appropriate seasons, the owner may be able to arrange some country sports for guests. Shop 5 miles, pub 1½ miles and restaurant 7 miles.£55From price per night based on 7 night stay
- Kelso, ScotlandThis great spacious property offers a perfect family base to enjoy the surrounding area, throughout the Scottish Borders and Northumberland. The property has one of the most spectacular views at the rear from the gardens - perfect for relaxing with a glass of wine in the summer. The generous accommodation is set over 2 levels and has a practical and spacious layout. There is an area within the property that can be used for bikes and the drying of wet clothes or boots after a days exploring.
The area around this part of the borders is famed for not only the walks and scenery but the ’Dark Skies’ environment and accessibility to the sensationally beautiful beaches of Northumberland. Shop 900 yards, pub 300 yards, restaurant 9 miles.£86From price per night based on 7 night stay
- Peebles, ScotlandLocated between the towns of Peebles and Biggar, just south of Edinburgh, is this gorgeous cottage on Drumelzier Place Farm. Set back from the River Tweed and within its own enclosed garden, Tweedford Cottage, as the name suggests, overlooks the original Ford Crossing on the river.
Completely upgraded and updated in 2022, this two-bedroom cottage is the ideal escape from the busyness of day-to-day life. Kick back, relax and enjoy either the stunning beauty of the surrounding area with the views from the cottage or venture outside and explore. The cottage is ideal for small families, couples, or a small group of friends. The living space is fabulous, with a stunning view and wood burner, the open-plan kitchen with breakfast area is exceptionally well equipped to luxury standard. The dining room, which takes full advantage of the view, is also open plan to the living space and is an ideal place to sit and enjoy a cuppa or maybe even read a book. There’s a utility with washing machine, separate to the kitchen, just off the hall. Outside the garden provides the space for your kids and dogs to run free, sit and relax or have a barbecue enjoying the picture postcard views.
Perhaps you’re looking for a base to explore that little bit further. With Edinburgh around 40 minutes by car and Glasgow just over an hour away, this is the ideal location for that feeling of peace and quiet yet still being so close to everything. Tweedford Cottage (UK41063) can be booked with Nettlebush Cottage (UK5629) also on the farm to accommodate up to 6 people.£86From price per night based on 7 night stay
- Kelso, ScotlandThis detached cottage is ideal for families or two couples looking to escape to the picturesque Scottish Borders. This three-bedroom cottage sleeps five people comfortably in the three bedrooms which are fitted as a kingsize room, double room and single room.
Located near to the towns of Kelso which is 6 miles away, and Duns which is 8 miles away, West Cottage was part of the original farm cottages and is surrounded by fields and countryside worked by the farm, so there will likely be some cows, sheep or horses coming to the fences to say hello when you’re out exploring.
The cottage accommodation is surprising in the generous size of the rooms. Downstairs the living room is ideal for relaxing in front of a movie on the TV and enjoying the cosiness of the wood burner. The kitchen is sure to be the hub of this ’home away from home’ given its size and how it’s equipped with an electric range cooker, guests will no doubt be creating meals of ’Masterchef’ standard to be enjoyed in the dining area, whatever the occasion. A shower room is downstairs completing the ground floor. Upstairs there are three bedrooms as mentioned and a four-piece bathroom with bath and shower. The house has gas heating to provide a heat boost when the fire isn’t on, although guests will find this a cosy house all year round.
Outside the generous back garden is fully enclosed and ideal for kids and dogs to run around enjoying and tiring themselves out.
The nearby village of Greenlaw is a short 2 mile drive away and boasts a pharmacy, butchers, pub and shop. The other surrounding villages, towns and attractions throughout the Borders provide something for literally every taste. Whether you want a light challenge of a hill walk or just to sit and enjoy the sleepy vibe of this fabulous part of Scotland. Venture a little further to Edinburgh (an hour by car) or head west towards Loch Lomond and the Trossachs, even south to the glorious beaches of Northumberland. All are more than doable for day trips by car.£82From price per night based on 7 night stay