Dog-Friendly Scottish Highlands
With stunning landscapes, majestic mountains and historic wonders, The Scottish Highlands is a truly magnificent place to visit. Whether you're looking for a cosy cottage or luxury hotel, there's a brilliant choice of dog-friendly accommodation and outdoor space for you and your pup to enjoy.
- Dornoch, ScotlandOsprey Lodge is situated in an elevated position, deep in the Sutherland hills, tucked away down a private track, and enjoying unbelievable views across the surrounding hills and open countryside. This superb, detached solid wood lodge enjoys total peace and privacy, set in 50 hectares of croft land. The accommodation is presented to a very good standard throughout. The delightful open plan living space features a welcoming wood burner in the living area, as well as patio doors that open onto the raised decking, with a private hot tub and sitting-out area. There are two beautifully presented kingsize bedrooms with colour coordinated soft furnishings allowing for a good nights’ sleep. This property is very accessible for wheelchair users, with a level entrance and modern bathroom with a claw-footed bath and accessible wet room walk-in shower.
Situated on a working farm where the friendly cattle and sheep roam freely, this is a haven for wildlife and you may also stumble upon osprey, deer, pine martin, red kites, golden eagles and curlews. Whilst completely private, it is just over 1 mile to the pretty stone village of Rogart which is home to a thriving village pub that serves meals, as well as a shop, post office and railway station. It is ideally located for exploring the whole of the Highlands, with many places of interest within a short drive. Dunrobin Castle, seat of the Duke of Sutherland, with its gardens modelled on Versailles is well worth a visit. Or experience salmon leaping up the famous Falls of Shin, and mountain biking, hill walking, fishing, and various water sports are all available locally. The historic seaside town of Dornoch is just 15 minutes’ drive away, where you can visit the sandy beach and the renowned championship golf course, as well as the 12th-century cathedral that dominates the central square. Beach 17¾ miles. Shop, pub and restaurant 1½ miles.£216From price per night based on 7 night stay
- Ullapool, ScotlandArdlearag is an outstanding architecturally-designed and timber-clad holiday home in the North West Scotland. Overlooking the sea loch Little Loch Broom, Ardlearag also has views of the isolated Scoraig peninsula and wee mountain Beinn Ghobhlach across the loch, and to the east An Teallach, a fabulous Munro, is in view and only a few miles away. Staying at Ardlearag is like striking gold. Pulling up at the stunning property you won’t believe your luck. Any length of time booked is guaranteed to be too short.
The property nestles into the landscape right beside the water and is surrounded by mountains. The area around Ardlearag is known as the ‘great wilderness’ and staying at the property makes it easy to see why. The front of the house looks towards the water and mountains -quite rightly - so you enter through the back door. On the left there’s a well-placed utility room, perfect for cleaning up after long days out exploring in the wilds. Quickly you discover the wow factor of the house, which is the vast amount of glass in the open plan living/dining/kitchen area. Views up the loch and across the water are truly sensational. It’s an amazing room making the most of the surroundings, and it’s finished to a fantastic high standard (like the whole house). To return to this room after days out on adventures is pure bliss.
Beyond the house the great wilderness awaits. An Teallach is a fantastic Munro and with it being so close it deserves an attempt or two during your holiday. Ullapool and Assynt beyond are not far away, and to the south the coastal villages of Aultbea, Poolewe and Gairloch with numerous sandy beaches to choose from await. Staying at Ardlearag is a superb choice for the most amazing of Highland holidays. Book now and forever be happy with your choice!£175From price per night based on 7 night stay
- Helmsdale, ScotlandSituated on its own, right on the shoreline, enjoying panoramic views of the seascape this unique detached house offers an exceptionally good standard of holiday accommodation throughout. The living room and large kitchen/dining room look out across the bay. A second living room upstairs is built in the form of an ’observatory’, complete with balcony from which to spot the wide variety of bird and sea-life. Miles of shoreline walks are accessed directly from the property. The unspoilt fishing village of Helmsdale has a harbour and restaurants and shops. The area is renowned for its unspoilt beaches, wild and rugged coastline and traditional villages. Fossils are regularly found along this particular stretch of coast. Travel north to visit the Castle of Mey, John O’ Groats and the Orkney Isles. Golf, fishing, cycling, hill-walking, surfing and pony trekking all available locally. Try panning for gold in the Helmsdale river and visit the fairytale castle of Dunrobin. Shops, pub and restaurant 500 yards.£126From price per night based on 7 night stay
- Nairn, ScotlandThis charming former fisherman’s cottage, with enclosed garden, is set in the heart of Fishertown which forms part of the lively town of Nairn. Located on the Moray Coast, Nairn boasts a sandy beach which is just a few minutes’ walk from the holiday cottage. A toy cupboard provides amusement at the cottage. Seashell Cottage is ideally situated to enjoy the variety of facilities the town has to offer including a links golf course, fishing and boat trips to see the bottlenose dolphins. Cawdor and Brodie Castle are nearby along with numerous distilleries - take the Whisky Trail on Speyside. Loch Ness, Culloden Battlefield and Inverness, the Highland capital are all within a short drive. Shop, pub and restaurant 500 yards.£44From price per night based on 7 night stay
- Inverness, ScotlandNestling amid the glorious Highland countryside, with a stunning backdrop of mountains, this traditionally built stone house stands detached on the site of an old croft, on a 350-acre estate. Ideal for year round family holidays, it features a most attractively furnished, designer interior, which opens out onto a large, south-facing enclosed garden laid mainly to lawn. The surrounding area is a nature lover’s paradise, with several lochs close by offering excellent fishing and bird-watching opportunities, and much indigenous flora and fauna. Inverness 17 miles. Shops 6 miles, pub 1 mile (open Apr-Oct).£82From price per night based on 7 night stay
- Lyth, ScotlandThe Ivy Wing and The Cottage are situated in the courtyard of Barrock House, and surrounded by landscaped grounds and mature woodland. This provides shelter for an abundance of bird and wild life with pleasant walks close at hand and the scenic beaches of Sinclair and Dunnet Bay are just 5 minutes by car. The Cottage makes the perfect base for touring this unspoilt and tranquil part of the Highlands. Visit the Castle and Gardens of Mey, the Queen Mother’s Highland home, John O’Groats, Wick Heritage and Lyth Arts Centre, or take a wildlife or distillery tour. Golfing, fishing, sea trips or walking along the many miles of rugged coastline are just some of the many activities available. Lyth is situated just 10 miles north of Wick and 15 miles from Thurso, making the beautiful Orkney Isles easily accessible by car ferry for day trips. Both properties can be booked together for larger groups (ref’s W42082 and W42083). Shop, pub and restaurant 4.5 miles.£50From price per night based on 7 night stay
- Nairn, ScotlandEnjoying open views across the countryside, this detached, 200-year old property is full of character and charm. Now a holiday cottage, it has been equipped and furnished to a good standard to ensure as comfortable and relaxing a holiday as possible. Only 7 miles from Inverness and 2 miles from Castle Stuart Golf Links, which has hosted the Scottish Open golf tournament. Mountain biking on some of the many forest trails, golf at some wonderful Scottish courses, sea trips and watersports either on the Moray coast or Loch Ness are just some of the many activities available. There are many historical sites nearby such as Culloden Battlefield, Fort George and Cawdor Castle. Try the Whiskey Trail along the Moray and Dornoch coasts. Shop 1 mile, pub serving food 3 miles.£65From price per night based on 7 night stay
- Thurso, ScotlandThis attractive ground floor holiday apartment forms part of a stone cottage situated in the village of Castletown which is on the North Coast 500. Its high ceilings, original wooden shutters and cottage garden (grassed area outside the main garden provides space for dogs’ exercise) all add to its charm. Four miles of sandy beach adjoins the fishing harbour 800 yards from the property. Sea angling and loch fishing are available. Known for its unspoilt beaches and wide variety of wildlife and, at certain times of year, the Northern Lights are visible. Central to many surfing locations, golf courses, fishing and the Castle of Mey (8 miles). Take a day-trip to the Orkney Isles. An all weather short mat bowling green is available for guests to use. Shop, pub and restaurant 200 yards.£38From price per night based on 7 night stay
- Rosemarkie, ScotlandEnjoying a peaceful rural setting on the outskirts of Rosemarkie on the beautiful Black Isle, these detached properties have been equipped and furnished to ensure as relaxing and enjoyable holiday as possible. The Black Isle makes a perfect base for exploring the many delights of the Northern Highlands. Visit the lovely fishing villages along the Moray Coast or take a distillery tour along the Moray Whisky Trail. Inverness, the Highland capital, Loch Ness and Culloden Battlefield are just a short drive and the stunning West Coast is a fantastic day out. The many activities in the area include mountain biking, golf, water sports and boat trips, quad biking, walking and climbing, to name just a few. For the less energetic, sit back, relax and watch the ever changing vistas. Shop, pub and restaurant 2 miles.£84From price per night based on 7 night stay
- Lairg, ScotlandKeeper’s House is situated in beautiful Glen Cassley. This charming, traditional, detached stone cottage overlooks the renowned River Cassley and enjoys stunning views from all windows. Situated on the Highland estate of Glenrossal, it provides peace and tranquillity. There is a large farmhouse-style kitchen/dining room, complete with cooker, microwave and a Belfast sink. The separate living room has a welcoming open fireplace and attractive soft furnishings. There are three good-sized bedrooms accommodating up to six visitors. With a bathroom and a separate shower room it is ideal for larger groups or a two family holiday. The estate has its own 2½ mile stretch of salmon fishing on the River Cassley. Six rods are available from Monday to Saturday with the fishing split into two beats with rods rotating at lunchtime. Behind the cottages lies a small loch, which can provide a useful testing ground for your casting technique or an enjoyable introduction to the sport for less experienced members of your party. When it is time for a break, the estate also provides a comfortable fishermen’s hut. The Glenrossal Estate is an excellent centre for salmon, trout and sea fishing. The local area has many breathtaking hill lochs inhabited with wild brown trout and with the east coast 15 miles away and the west coast only 30 miles, the keen fisherman should never be short of sport. Licences must be obtained beforehand so please contact the estate directly to check availability. Keeper’s House is ideally located for exploring the best of the Highlands. The short drive to Ullapool, around 45 minutes, goes through breathtaking scenery to the west coast. A trip east offers the pretty sandstone villages of Dornoch, Golspie and Brora, all boasting superb sandy beaches and well known golf courses. Beach 20 miles. Shop 11 miles, pub and restaurant ¾ mile. Keeper’s House can be booked together with Birch Cottage (UK5417) and Rowan Cottage (UK5418) to accommodate up to 15 guests.£113From price per night based on 7 night stay