Dog-friendly Cottages Highlands
With spellbinding landscapes and paw-inspiring scenery, the Scottish Highlands is a magnificent natural playground which begs to be explored by both doggies and their human companions. You and your pooch can embark on an adventure through the mountains, snoop out the mysterious lochs, or stroll along the captivating coastline.
- St Andrews, ScotlandEscape to this delightful detached holiday cottage, part of the Old Inzievar House estate which is situated in beautiful and natural parkland, on a working farm with varied livestock, about 6 miles west of Dunfermline and 1 mile from the historic Culross village and abbey on the Forth Estuary. Fernwoodlea has been thoughtfully restored to retain many original features and provides spacious, comfortable accommodation. Ideal for relaxing and enjoying the area and all it has to offer with friends and family. You can curl up with a book in the cosy living room in front of the wood burner on cooler days or sit in the garden with a glass of wine.
If you are feeling more energetic, try the owner’s tennis court, or with permission from the owners, a tour of the restored walled garden can be arranged. This rural haven has excellent access to dog friendly walks, cycle paths, and outdoor amenities, but within easy access of Edinburgh 24 miles, Perth 33 miles and Stirling 18 miles. Shop 1½ miles, pub and restaurant 2 miles.£63From price per night based on 7 night stay
- St Andrews, ScotlandThe Roundel is set in a most fantastic rural location with uninterrupted views over the open rolling countryside of Fife. It is the perfect location for weekend celebrations or getaways for your whole family who can revel in the space, ambience and warmth of this remarkable holiday home. On the ground floor, the focal point of this semi-detached house is the living/dining room, which has three sets of patio doors leading to the garden. Its floor-to-ceiling windows take full advantage of the views. For younger members of the group, there is a special toy corner. Outside, there is ample space for everyone to enjoy, and the patio with garden furniture is great for al fresco dining.
There is much to do in the area, and guests are in an ideal location for exploring coastal Fife. In a small quiet hamlet, The Roundel provides a rural location with miles of sandy beach and dunes less than 6 miles away, and the bustling city of Dundee and historic St Andrews are both only 15 minutes away (6 miles) with activities for all ages and tastes. Just 10 minutes away lies the picturesque market town of Cupar, which is ideal for picking up supplies. For families there is the Scottish Deer Centre, St Andrews Aquarium, sandy beaches at Tentsmuir Forest and beach, as well as riding stables.
The historic city of St Andrews can be reached within a 15-minute drive, making The Roundel ideal for guests visiting friends and family who are based at St Andrews University or attending one of the graduation ceremonies. As a popular tourist location, St Andrews offers a great selection of quality cafés, bars and restaurants, excellent shopping as well as a sandy beach, harbour and many historic buildings. Renowned worldwide as the ‘Home of Golf’ and regularly playing host to the Open Championship, this is a golfers’ paradise with eight courses to suit all abilities, as well as the British Golf Museum.
Dundee has lots to offer for a day out, the Olympia Sports Centre has a swimming pool, great for keeping your childen entertained on wet days. A visit to RRS Discovery at the multi award-winning Discovery Point makes for a good day to see how Captain Scott and Ernest Shackleton made their epic journeys. Falkland Palace and its garden are well worth a visit - this is one of Scotland’s finest Renaissance palaces and is steeped in history. Fans of the TV series ‘Outlander’ will recognise the location which was used as 1940s Inverness, and there are many more locations in the area that were used in the series. Beach 6 miles. Shop and restaurant 2 miles, pub ½ mile.£109From price per night based on 7 night stay
- St Andrews, ScotlandHorseshoe Cottage is a traditional, terraced, stone-built cottage tucked away on a quiet lane, in the heart of the picture-postcard village of Freuchie at the foot of the Lomond Hills in rural Fife. After spending a day exploring, Horseshoe Cottage provides a cosy and welcoming base to retreat to, and is perfect for a romantic weekend in the countryside. The small enclosed garden is an added benefit where you can enjoy a pre-dinner drink or, weather permitting, enjoy an al fresco barbecue. From your front door you can walk to the local hotel for a drink or a meal, explore the friendly village down old lanes with well-kept gardens and out into the surrounding countryside. If you enjoy walking or cycling there are miles of lanes and quiet roads to explore.
The historic conservation village of Falkland, with it’s fairytale Renaissance palace and gardens, are only 2 miles away and makes a great day out where you can experience a day in the life of the Stuart monarchs and visit the extensive gardens. Wander around the medieval village where properties date back 300 years and stop for a refreshment in one of the tea shops or places to eat. For fans of the epic TV series Outlander, the village was one of the many locations filmed in this area.
The property is ideally located for a golf break, with 52 golf courses in a 25 mile radius, and St Andrews, with it’s championship courses, can be reached in under 30 minutes. For exploring further afield there’s Dundee with the V&A Museum and harbour side, and Perth can be reached in under 30 minutes. Sandy beaches at Leven are only 10 miles away and the Fife Coastal Path, for coastal walks to secluded coves and old fishing villages, can be joined here. Beach 10 miles. Shop, pub and restaurant 500 yards.£77From price per night based on 7 night stay
- St Andrews, ScotlandScotstarvit Farmhouse is a welcoming, detached traditional stone farmhouse, furnished to an excellent standard throughout. Guests will find a warm and cosy home with ample space for all to enjoy at any time of the year.
In the heart of rural Fife, the farmhouse is accessed by a private lane in a quiet location. There are fabulous wide-open views from the garden and upstairs bedrooms. On the ground floor the well-equipped kitchen with breakfast table has French doors leading out into the garden. There is plenty of space for everyone to enjoy, the living and dining room with cosy sofas and large dining table is a great hub for everyone to gather, while the separate sitting room with wood burner is an ideal space for watching your favourite TV programs. The ground floor is accessible for less mobile guests with level access throughout and a wonderful double bedroom with an en-suite shower room and fabulous walk-in shower.
The first floor has two further double bedrooms and two bathrooms, offering plenty of space for all the family. The garden around the house has a patio so you can take advantage of the sun all day, admire the views and enjoy a glass of wine. An ideal location for exploring the Fife Coastal Route following the shore to quaint fishing villages and sandy coves, there is plenty of opportunity for walking and cycling. For golf enthusiasts it is a mere fifteen minutes to St Andrew’s seven golf courses as well as Lundin Links, Leven and Ladybank golf courses. Within half an hour are Elie, Crail, Kingsbarns, St Andrew’s Bay and the new Dumbarnie courses and within one hour are Carnoustie, Panmure and Gleneagles courses.
The ancient, historic city of St Andrews is only 10 miles away and is ideal for visiting family at St Andrews University or attending a graduation ceremony. A popular tourist destination St Andrews has lots of places to eat, from quality cafés, bars and restaurants, to ice cream parlours, as well as some excellent shopping. The city also boasts two white sandy beaches, a harbour and many historic buildings.
During your stay be sure to visit the British Golf Museum, a must for golf enthusiasts with championship courses as well as family friendly courses to play. Nearby Hill of Tarvit Mansion and Falkland Palace and garden are well worth visiting, the latter one of Scotland’s finest Renaissance palaces and steeped in history. Fans of the epic TV series ‘Outlands’ will recognise the location which was used as 1940’s Inverness. Dundee is only a half hour drive away, home to the V&A museum with Scott’s ship ‘RRS Discovery’. There are regular direct trains to the centre of Edinburgh from Cupar and Ladybank. Beach 7 miles.£138From price per night based on 7 night stay
- St Andrews, ScotlandNewburgh C Listed Townhouse, which is set over three floors, has enjoyed a whole new makeover and pampering in 2021. Now with its high-end finishes and tasteful decoration throughout, you will enjoy staying in this warm and welcoming house with its sumptuous quality furnishings and homely feel.
Perched on the south side of the Firth of Tay, the townhouse has views out to the Firth from the upper bedrooms, where visitors can access the start of the Fife Coastal Path. The elevated living room has north and south facing windows plus a cosy open fire to sit by on a cool day. The ground floor comprises of a kitchen/dining room with views and access out to the courtyard. The south-facing private garden is laid with stone and surrounded by beautiful plants and alpines. Up one step from the ground floor is the shower room and then carry-on up a rounded turret staircase to the next level.
The first floor comprises of the living room, an adult-size bunk bed room, and separate toilet. The top floor includes a king-size and twin room. Each of these rooms have windows on both sides of the property to allow sunlight to filter in. The property also has space for 2 cars with off-road parking and a utility room in the garden area for extra storage, and an under-counter full freezer.
No need to use the kitchen when the village has its own distillery! Just a 10-minute walk away and you will find yourself at the award winning Lindores Abbey Distillery. Live music, whisky tasting, gin, distillery tours, beautiful cheese boards are just a few of the features! East Port café and Jamesfield Farm shop are also local. 5 minutes’ drive away to the next village over and you can get excellent food from Abernethy’s Crees Inn pub or Clootie McToot Dumplings Café.
Situated in North Fife and on the border of Perthshire there are dozens of beautiful walks, coastal paths and hills to explore. Walk through the enchanted forest and under a waterfall at Maspie Den then on to Falkland Palace.
Shops and pubs ½ mile.£76From price per night based on 7 night stay
- St Andrews, ScotlandWest cottage is situated just outside the village of Freuchie between the historic county town of Cupar and a larger new town of Glenrothes.
This charming ‘home away from home’ is the ideal base to explore the wonders of the beautiful Kingdom of Fife. This 3-bedroom cottage is ideal for families, couples and small groups and will sleep 6 people comfortably across 3 double bedrooms. The master bedroom has an en-suite shower room and there is a family bathroom off the main hall serving the rest of the property. The spacious living space includes a living/dining room and a second garden living room with a sunny western position. The kitchen is equipped with modern appliances and everything you’ll need for the few meals you’ll likely be preparing due to the number of fabulous restaurants, pubs and cafes nearby. There is parking for 3 cars and a lovely garden area outside.
The space outside is a wonderful spot to enjoy the world going by, the view and a flavour of the peace and quiet that only such tranquil areas can offer. Situated not far from the main North/South arterial motorway, the M90, West Cottage is exceptionally well located, allowing relatively easy access to county’s many attractions. Glasgow to the west will take just over an hour, Edinburgh and Dundee will take less than an hour as will the famous St Andrews with one of the UK’s finest beaches and of course the Home of Golf.£96From price per night based on 7 night stay
- St Andrews, ScotlandPerfect for an escape into the countryside, Mill Hall Cottages is a traditional stone, semi-detached cottage dating back to the 1800s, attached to the rear of the Craig Mill, on the outskirts of the picturesque village of Newburgh on the south side of the Firth of Tay.
This delightful cottage refurbished in 2021, is on three levels, entered on the mid-level. The open plan living area is bright and welcoming, with comfortable seating, dining table and contemporary fitted kitchen which is well-equipped for preparing a meal. There is a shower room also on the ground floor. From the hall, stairs lead up to an attractively presented twin bedded room; downstairs to a bright and spacious bedroom with a kingsize bed, walk in wardrobe and en-suite shower room. A handy utility room housing the freezer and washing machine completes the picture.
The cottage also benefits from a pretty courtyard area, a lovely place to sit and listen to the wild birds with your morning coffee or alfresco dining. For guests who enjoy walking and cycling, from your front door there are splendid walks out into the countryside; you can join the start of the Fife coastal path which follows the coast to old fishing villages, pretty coves and award-winning sandy beaches.
This area is steeped in history, Newburgh, the birthplace of whisky, and the origins of which lie in the ancient ruins of Lindores Abbey. The recently constructed Lindores Abbey Distillery, just a few minutes’ walk from the cottage, recreates an historic distillery dating back to 1400s.
It has one of the best whisky tours in Scotland as well as a bar, restaurant and courtyard where regular events are held. Explore the ancient lanes of this picturesque village with a play park, tearoom, local shops and gallery. Take a pleasant drive over the Tay Bridge to Dundee, only 19 miles away with the hustle and bustle of city life, great places to shop, eat or be entertained. Tourist attractions include the stunning V&A museum Dundee, Scotland’s first design museum, and the first Victoria & Albert museum outside of London, The Discovery ship which pioneered polar expeditions, Victorian Jute Mill and Science Centre.
Ideal for a rainy day the leisure complex with swimming pool is great for kids of all ages. The historic city of St Andrews is just over 30 minutes’ drive from the cottage and well worth a visit, with lots of cafés and places to eat and drink, sandy beaches, tourist attractions and of course the famous golf courses.
For guests wanting to play golf, they are spoilt for choice with numerous courses within half an hour’s driving distance. The historic county town of Cupar is only 10 miles away and has a variety of shops, restaurants and leisure facilities to experience. The M90 is within a short drive and offers excellent access to the cities of Perth to the north, and Edinburgh to the south. If you want to leave the car to explore further afield there is a regular bus service in Newburgh and trains run regularly from Ladybank Station to Edinburgh, Glasgow, Dundee and Inverness.£54From price per night based on 7 night stay
- St Andrews, ScotlandThe Orchard is a large detached gated house found on the edge of the bustling historic town of Cupar. Surrounded by golf clubs and less than a twenty-minute drive to St Andrews and one hour to Edinburgh.
This luxurious house boasts four large bedrooms, a wonderful spacious living room for gathering in the evening after a day of exploring the beautiful surrounding area, a fantastic dining room, fully equipped modern kitchen, and a large garden. The ground floor accommodation offers excellent, flexible, and open-plan living space. On the ground floor you will find two bedrooms, one kingsize room and one super kingsize room with an en-suite bathroom. The living room with a lovely wood burner set into a slate hearth, and a large south facing window overlooking the garden. Double doors open into the dining end of the open plan kitchen/dining room. There is an impressive bow window which overlooks the garden with doors leading out onto the patio.
The kitchen area is fitted with a central island with breakfast bar. All surfaces are granite and units have integrated kitchen appliances. Next to the kitchen the utility room is complete with a large belfast sink, extra fridge, washing machine and tumble dryer and some extra storage. There is also a family bathroom on this level, and a large coat cupboard that can be used for golf clubs or a buggy. Head up the stairs to the first floor where you will find two bright and spacious super kingsize bedrooms, one of which is also equipped with a pull-out double day bed. Both with have south facing dormer windows, and Velux windows facing north over the playing fields and to the hills beyond.
The house is approached through remote-controlled wrought iron gates, opening onto a generous monobloc parking area and double garage. The grounds are fully enclosed by a stone wall and beech hedge providing the house with peace and privacy. The south-facing garden is surrounded by stocked borders and flower beds containing a variety of trees and shrubs. A summerhouse sits to the south of the garden on the edge of the lawn and creates a wonderfully sunny area to enjoy. With so much to do on the doorstep and all the local amenities within a few minutes’ walk, you will have a memorable stay at The Orchard and will want to keep coming back.£287From price per night based on 7 night stay
- St Andrews, ScotlandFieldview is a fantastic large country house, set on a hillside with stunning views of the Lomond hills. One of three luxury holiday homes all set within a very large beautiful, shared garden but with its own lovely patio area perfect for eating al fresco. Only 40 minutes’ drive from Edinburgh and in a central location in Fife, Fieldview really is perfect base for exploring many Scottish tourist attractions. The house has an impressive spacious open plan living/dining area ideal for large family gatherings or groups of friends getting together, the wood burner will keep you warm and cosy on a cold day. There is a fully equipped kitchen with large marble cooking island with integrated appliances including warming drawer and dishwasher, the dining table seats eight and there are a couple of bar stools at the end of the cooking island perfect for keeping the chef company, this is a great social space. Enjoy eating out on the private patio directly in front of the living area. As you walk through the open living room you step down towards the end of the property where you will find a lovely comfortable double bedroom with a large bathroom opposite. Head up the bright and open staircase to the first floor where you will find three more bedrooms and another bathroom. All the rooms are bright and spacious with top quality mattresses and bedding. One of the bedrooms has a kingsize bed that gives you the option to convert into a twin, the twin room has lovely views over the garden and the far-reaching Lomond hills beyond, the fourth bedroom has three single beds with one of them offering an extra pull-out bed, sleeping four guests in total, perfect for children, teenagers, or a group of friends. There is a large grassy area which is ideal for football, badminton or cricket, along with a small summer house to sit in on a cool day and shared barbecue for the warmer weather.
Auchtermuchty is a quiet village surrounded by beautiful countryside and has lots of activities happening close by. Edinburgh is just 40 minutes away where you can explore this stunning historic city. Closer to home and 8 minutes away you will find the charming historic village of Falkland, where you may recognise some of the picturesque, cobbled streets featured in the TV hit series, Outlander. A visit to the palace and gardens is highly recommended along with beautiful leisurely walks around the Falkland Estate. The Scottish Deer Centre and Fife Zoo are also within a short 10-minute drive. Beach 17 miles.
Fieldview can be booked together with Orchard House (UK40946) and The Old Barn (UK40948) to accommodate up to 20 guests.£144From price per night based on 7 night stay
- St Andrews, ScotlandThis beautiful semi-detached, 19th-century farmhouse tastefully blends original features with contemporary style, offering space and comfort in a stunning rural setting. With wonderful views over the River Tay and rolling hills, this charming holiday cottage is on the edge of a steading conversion where ducks and geese swim on the old mill race. Newburgh village is a short stroll with shops, art gallery and dining pubs. Golf, fishing, cycling, motor racing and sky diving nearby. Visit Perth, 13 miles, St Andrews, 20 miles or just savour the peace. Within walking distance of the property is Lindores Abbey Distillery which offers tours. Shops and pubs ½ mile.£86From price per night based on 7 night stay