With temperatures continuing to rise there’s no doubt your pet will be feeling the heat just as much as you. They can suffer from heat stroke just like us. Here are our top tips for keeping your dog cool, safe and happy in the sun. They will love you for it!
1. Keep walks to early morning and late evening to avoid the hottest times and try to keep to shady paths to keep cool.
2. Avoid hot pavements as these can lead to blisters and burns to their paws. You can always test the pavement by taking your shoes off – it’s amazing just how hot the pavements get!
3. Keep several bowls of water in different rooms and drop ice cubes into the bowl to keep them cool.
5. Consider buying a small paddling pool for the garden. They will love splashing about in the sun.
6. Never leave your dog in a car unattended in this weather or in conservatories or any small hot rooms even for a short time. Their temperature can quickly rise and this can be fatal.
7. Make sure you carry plenty of water and a collapsible water bowl in the car for even the shortest journey.
8. Don’t tie your dog up outside a supermarket as the angle of the sun might change.
9. Wrap your dog up in a damp towel to cool them down.
10. Use pet-safe sun cream on exposed parts of your dog’s skin.
11. Check for ticks and seeds after a trip in the park
12. On holiday don’t let your pet drink too much water from the sea as this can dehydrate them.
13. Make sure longer haired dogs get their summer haircut cut to keep them cool. Keep them groomed as matted fur can lead to overheating.
14. Discard any uneaten food quickly. The summer can quickly make food stale, which not only attracts flies but will make your canine companion sick.
15. Where possible avoid travel on trains or public transport during busy periods.
Make a PetsPyjamas holiday booking over £250 this month and receive a free Kong water bottle!