We love Labradors!
Its official! The Labrador is the most popular dog on the PetsPyjamas site! As well as making a wonderful family companion, the Labrador is ideally suited as a guide dog as well as a working gundog, too.
The breed originates from Newfoundland which from the 16th Century was primarly known for its fishing industry. Labradors were used to assist fisherman find nets and also pull along carts full of fish. They were originally smaller than the Labradors we know today and were called the St. John’s dog. It is understood that these dogs crossed with dogs brought to Newfoundland by fishermen and English traders created the basis for the Labrador we know today.
Dogs resulting from this cross breeding were taken back to England where their skill at retrieving was spotted by the sporting gentry. The Earl of Malmesbury, one of the early advocates of this breed, gave the breed its name with the first breed club being formed in 1916.
The Labrador is good tempered, agile, loves water and makes a very adaptable and wonderful companion. Labradors are intelligent with a very kind nature and are keen to please. They are also good around children. They come in three colours – black, yellow and chocolate and have a short weather-resistent coat. They usually need at least an hour’s walking a day or even a hour and a half and live from 10 – 14 years old.
1. Labradors have webbed toes and are therefore great swimmers.
2. Their coat has two layers – a short thick layer and a water-resistant undercoat.
3. They are rated in the top 10 most intelligent dog breeds in the world.
4. Labradors are known for their ability to sprint. They can go as fast as 12 miles an hour in just three seconds.
5. You can get all three colours in one litter.
6. In America labradors have been trained to sniff out early stages of Cancer.
Health problems include weight gain if they are not given sufficient exercise and they can also suffer from canine hip dysplasia, canine elbow and shoulder dysplasia but given all that Labradors usually lead happy and healthy lives and make a wonderful pet!