Dogs at Easter: How to Keep your Pup Safe

With Easter just around the corner most of us will be looking forward to the usual traditional fare of hot cross buns, Easter eggs and Simnel cake.  All delicious of course, but some are actually potentially very dangerous for our canine friends. To ensure you avoid an unwanted emergency trip to the vet, we’ve put together a list of the biggest Easter dangers for dogs. 

 

Easter Eggs & Chocolate

 

 

Easter eggs, as yummy as they are, should be kept well away from your dog. That’s because the chocolate contains a chemical called ‘theobromine’ which can be poisonous and very harmful.

Humans are able to digest theobromine quickly enough for it not to affect us. However, our four-legged friends metabolise the chemical much slower, making it incredibly toxic. In general, darker chocolate contains the most amount of theobromine, but chocolate of any kind is highly likely to cause your dog problems.

How do I know if my dog’s eaten an Easter egg? 

If you’re worried your hungry hound has eaten an Easter egg or hoovered up a bit of chocolate from the floor, here are some signs to look out for:

  • excitement
  • vomiting
  • diarrhea 
  • muscle stiffness
  • muscle twitching 
  • tremors 
  • fitting

Contact your vet immediately if you spot any of these symptoms!

 

Sweets

 

 

Easter typically means an abundance of sweets, too – especially if you have kids! Some sweets contain an artificial sweetener substance called Xylitol. Xylitol is very harmful to dogs, and even a small amount can be highly toxic. Again, make sure your packets of Haribos are hidden in a cupboard or drawer where your pup won’t find them!

How do I know if my dog’s eaten sweets?

Here are some of the signs to look out for:

  • vomiting 
  • poor coordination
  • lethargy
  • fitting/seizures

Contact your vet immediately if you spot any of theses symptoms!

 

 

Hot cross buns

 

 

Hot cross buns are another classic Easter treat, but one that we shouldn’t share with our furry friends. Hot cross buns typically contain dried fruit such as raisins, sultanas and grapes – all  harmful for dogs to consume. If your dog were to eat any of these fruits, they could severely damage their kidneys and suffer kidney failure. 

Scientists are unsure what exactly it is that makes raisins, sultanas and grapes toxic to dogs, or how much can be poisonous. Some dogs have eaten large quantities and have been absolutely fine, but others have unfortunately died after eating just a couple of raisins. So, to be on the safe side, make sure you resist the urge to share even a tiny bit of bun with your pup.

 

How do I know if my dog’s eaten a hot cross bun? 

Here are some of the signs to look out for:

  • stomach problems 
  • vomiting 
  • decreased urination
  • increased thirst

Contact your vet immediately if your dog consumes any amount, or if you spot any of these symptoms!

 

 

Easter hampers & baskets

 

 

Hampers and gift baskets make lovely gifts, but the contents can pose potential danger for your dog. As well as the various treats and toys inside, filler material such as straw and plastic glass can be easily swallowed by dogs. If your furry friend  was to swallow something inedible they are likely to experience digestive problems. Any digestive obstruction can result in a very uncomfortable dog, and expensive surgery!

 

How do I know if my dog has swallowed something dangerous? 

Here are the digestive obstruction symptoms to look out for:

  • vomiting 
  • bloating 
  • weight loss
  • dehydration

If you think your pup has swallowed something they shouldn’t, and are showing any of these signs, contact your vet ASAP!

 

 

Sunday Roast

 

 

A traditional Easter lamb roast is one of the best things about Easter. Although a Sunday Roast is to be shared with family, this is a one meal that not to be shared with our four-legged friends. As tempting as it may be to slip your doggie some leftovers, its something to be avoided.  Scraps of fatty beef, roast pork or ham can really upset a dog’s stomach, and also cause problems such as vomiting, bloating, abdominal pain, loss of appetite, dehydration and in some cases, pancreatitis. 

So, if you really want to dine with your furry friend this Easter Sunday, you’re much better off serving up a few of their favourite treats instead.

 

What do I do if you think your dog has been poisoned?

 

If you think your dog has eaten any of the above, contact your local veterinary practise immediately and give them as much information as possible. It’s important you act fast and get them the help they need as soon as possible. Do not wait until they become unwell before contacting your vet.

So best to stick to the treats they know and love! And as before, make sure anything harmful is tucked away in cupboards or placed on a high shelf so even the most determined dog can’t reach them! 

We hope you and your doggies have the best Easter weekend! We’d love to see some photos of your best furry friends enjoying the Easter weekend together, so head over to our Instagram and Facebook page to share them with us!

  • You may also like
  • Most popular articles

A Family for Amelie

Sam Robinson of ‘The Cross’ boutique talks about life with her gorgeous Staffie-cross rescue dog, Amelie