Dog Birthday Cake Recipe
Treat your pooch to a homemade doggie birthday cake on their special day! Using 100% dog-friendly ingredients including a potato yogurt fluffy frosting, peanut butter and carrots, this delightful canine cake is both nutritious and tasty – and the perfect birthday gift for your four-legged friend.
DOG BIRTHDAY CAKE:
- 2 eggs
- 140g peanut butter (spread or pure) – Be sure to check that your peanut butter does NOT contain Xylitol, a sweetener that is extremely toxic to dogs!
- 60ml oil (canola, vegetable)
- 160ml milk (or water)
- 115g honey or maple syrup (or apple sauce or skip it)
- 2 Large Carrots, Shredded
- 275g whole wheat / wholemeal flour (or white flour)
- 2.5 tsp baking soda
DOG FRIENDLY FLUFFY FROSTING (WHIPPED POTATO YOGURT):
- 600 – 700g potatoes, peeled, cut into chunks
- 215 to 285ml yogurt (plain unsweetened) or water
PetsPyjamas pooch Simba enjoying his birthday treat!
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F (160C fan).
- Grease and line the base of 2 x 20cm/8″ cake pans.
- Whisk together eggs, peanut butter, oil, honey and milk (little peanut butter lumps are ok).
- Stir in carrots. Then add flour and baking soda, stir until just combined (over mixing = hard cake = sad birthday pooch).
- Divide batter between the cake pans, spread and smooth surface.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Cool on racks.
DOGGIE FLUFFY FROSTING:
- Boil, steam or microwave potato until very soft.
- Whip the potato and yoghurt with an electric beater until fluffy and smooth as possible (won’t go 100% smooth) – about 1 1/2 minutes on medium speed (speed 5).
- Use water as needed to loosen frosting to soft spreadable consistency (like human buttercream frosting!). Use while warm (it “sets” when it cools).
- Spread 1/4 frosting on one cake.
- Top with other cake. Frost tops and sides with remaining frosting, reserving some to pipe decorations if desired.
And there’s enough for furry friends, too!
Send us your photos!
We’d love to see your doggies and their birthday cakes. Tag us in your pictures on Instagram (@thepetspyjamas) or use the hashtag #barkingbakeoff and we’ll share them to our story!